ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for work in Germany

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne Stockdreher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Looking for work in Germany Reply with quote

Hi,
I am an ESL english teacher. I am running an English AG for 3d and 4th graders. But it is only for a couple of hours a week. I would like to find more. Are there any searches I can make for regional areas of Germany? I live in a small town named Dülken it is near Moenchengladbach. Any suggestions? I am an American and EU citizen.
Thanks
Suzanne
Scooby *Scott* Doo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw a job on the forum in Germany at Wall Street, you might want to check that out.

How did you manage to get the dual citizenship? I heard the US will only allow you one passport, and will punish you if you take on a second citizenship behind their backs. You know, our good old champion of the left president we have in office back home now...
Suzanne Stockdreher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Working in Germany Reply with quote

Hi,
It is not dual citizenship it is a permit because I am married to a German man.This right is automatic to live and work in Germany when you are married to a German. Still I have to go to the immigration office every year for a stamp to stay and since we've married I go every 5 years. The last time I went they gave me the stamp to own a business. Which I understand is not usual. But I have been lucky in that the Germans are curious about the USA and American culture. However with the latest developments in politics we have not been viewed very favorably. I keep reminding my neighbours that I have lived here for the past 5 years and had no part in the government doings. And then reinforce my belief in America and its foundation. That's pretty much all I can do.
I did see the Wall Street job and it sounded good but it is located a great distance from me. That was the reason for asking if there existed a search that would allow a regional search. Sometimes it is funny , because Germany is only the size of Montana but the folks here seem to think it is the size of the USA. Smile Oh well. Thanks so much for the reply I am new to these forums and I really need to be in the work force and it seemed a great way to exchange ideas.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Passports Reply with quote

My brother has two passports, one for the US and the other for the UK and as far as I am aware, he has no problems.

UJ
Suzanne Stockdreher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there is some sort of agreement with the UK. I was born in Sussex and when I was 14 I received a letter from the UK if I would like to become a citizen of the UK and carry dual citizenship. I did not respond and as that was many years ago I am not current as to what they (UK) now have for rules.
Hey it is so cool to get responses! Thanks
servus_aus_tex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Teaching English in Germany Reply with quote

I'm in my early 50's and have a Bachelors degree in business from a university(Texas State). My major was CIS(Computer Information Systems) and I've been working as a computer programmer in business applications for 25 years. I can read, write, and speak German at the intermediate to advanced level(depending on who you ask). I am considering going to Germany to get a TEFL certificate, then teach and live there. Although I am surprised that I only see two places in Germany that still offer an on-site course, one being Berlin and the other being Hamburg.

I've read that most all the work there teaching English is free-lance these days, and not being employed by a German company means you pay a lot more tax on your income, and even with free-lancing you still must pay into the pension system.

So I'd like to hear from some of you currently teaching in Germany as to how you are surviving. Is it a decent life or a constant struggle to survive? I've been to Germany twice for a month each time, really liked it, met some distant relatives, travelled all over central, southern and eastern Germany, and wanted to stay there. I'd like to live there if it isn't TOO much of a struggle because of not being a citizen and because of having to freelance. I don't require a lavish lifestyle, I've never had one before, but I would want to be comfortable and secure in a modest way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: