ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a Visa with a Criminal Conviction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrackFox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Getting a Visa with a Criminal Conviction Reply with quote

Has anyone recently been denied a visa with a drink driving conviction?
In 2008 my Korean visa was approved despite a drink driving conviction from 2005. Just last week the same immigration office denied my visa even though I had been approved before and worked in Korea for a year. What the hell?

I know the conviction issue has been done to death but I'd appreciate any advice and whether there is any way of challenging this inconsistency .

Getting into North Korea was easier.......
ADKINS009

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search requests on public officials, juveniles, and/or celebrities are strictly prohibited. Users who request information under false pretenses or use data obtained from free criminal check site in contravention of the law may be subject to civil & criminal penalties. All searches are subject to terms of use and applicable law. You can easily access the full disclaimer page.
MITCHELL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you intend to tell the truth, your son would definitely need to apply for a visa, as regardless of the nature of the offense and the eventual outcome, he was in fact arrested.
Mandrake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Getting a VISA with a criminal record Reply with quote

CrackFox

The South Korean immigration office is really cracking down on allowing people with criminal convictions into their country; especially when these people will be dealing with and educating their children.

You may not be able to get back into South Korea with your conviction. My best advice to you would be to apply to have your criminal record expunged. Most countries allow their citizens to have their record expunged after the conviction is older than a certain length of time. This would obviously vary from country to country; as well as on what the conviction was for.

I would speak to your local criminal justice department and find out what can be done to have your record expunged. With a clean CRC/CBC you should then have no problems getting a VISA for South Korea.
NaviESL5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a VISA with a criminal record Reply with quote

Mandrake wrote:
CrackFox

The South Korean immigration office is really cracking down on allowing people with criminal convictions into their country; especially when these people will be dealing with and educating their children.

You may not be able to get back into South Korea with your conviction. My best advice to you would be to apply to have your criminal record expunged. Most countries allow their citizens to have their record expunged after the conviction is older than a certain length of time. This would obviously vary from country to country; as well as on what the conviction was for.

I would speak to your local criminal justice department and find out what can be done to have your record expunged. With a clean CRC/CBC you should then have no problems getting a VISA for South Korea.

I agree with you, Mandrake. I work for one of the recruiting agencies in South Korea, and yes, South Korea is pretty strict when it comes to criminal records. After you have your records clean, you should be fine and can come to South Korea any time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: