ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work in USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL on the North American Continent . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c.rosier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Work in USA Reply with quote

I would like to TEFL/TESOL in Florida or California or N/S Carolina. I am British and live in the UK. Does anyone know of any way of doing this as Visas & green cards etc. are so difficult to get.
Thanks
Caroline
darcystarz7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: working TEFL in the U.S. Reply with quote

hello caroline Smile

my name is amanda and i'm an american living and working in the UK. i've recently received my CELTA certification to teach English and am in the process of trying to get started!

as far as working in the U.S., what i do know is that every teacher that teaches in a public school is required to take the NTE which is the National Teachers Exam, before being allowed to teach. private schools have their own rules, you don't have to be NTE certified, usually they just want their teachers to have a bachelor's degree in the area in which they're teaching. i can't say i know too much about EFL in America but i'm anxious to find out as my husband and i plan on going back there at some point to live. i myself have a bachelor's degree but no formal teacher training (a B.Ed) and haven't taken the NTE either. I suppose it depends on what age you wish to teach as adult education has different requirements. I would suggest doing research on the actual state you want to teach in because every one has different laws regarding education.

There are certain areas which are desparate for EFL, my small home state of Delaware being one of them but it doesn't seem to be that high of a priority when it comes to funding. Most children are expected to assimilate. I know that there is one ESL teacher for all primary schools in one school district!

Regarding a work permit, you would need the school to sponsor you for one. If you've had lots of experience, I'm sure you can start marketing yourself out to organisations/schools who seem in need. The American embassy's website is a good place to start!

Good luck!

Amanda Reid
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Work in the USA for someone holding a Masters in TESL Reply with quote

C.Rosier wrote:
I would like to TEFL/TESOL in Florida or California or N/S Carolina.

Posters,

For those looking for work in the U.S., the University of Arkansas has openings for a full-time TESL faculty position.

From their listing:

Quote:
Spring International Language Center at the University of Arkansas,
Fayetteville, has openings for a full-time faculty position to begin
teaching on January 10, 2006. We ask that applications be submitted by
October 15, 2005, but they will continue to be accepted until this position
is filled.

Qualifications, job description, benefits, and environment are detailed
in the post found here:

Good luck!

Lee

http://www.english-blog.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com

Last edited by Lee Hobbs on Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
tangail

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: US Resume Reply with quote

You have to find a job in USA to start to process the green card. Basically your employer will apply for you. To get a job in USA, try to write your resume by following the US style - you can visit a good website - www.resumexcel.com , you can find very useful information there regarding resume writing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL on the North American Continent . . . All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: