ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A job offer is not the same as contract, right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: A job offer is not the same as contract, right? Reply with quote

I'm negotiating with a university in KSA. I made a preliminary commitment to teach, and I keep requesting a contract.

The problem is, they won't send me a contract and they tell me to send my passport to the Saudi Consulate. They tell me the visa is waiting and send the passport right away.

My question is: do I need to sign the contract FIRST before the mailing of passports starts?
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: VISA APPLICATION Reply with quote

I don't remember which comes first, the hen or the egg.

Nevertheless, here are the rules when applying for a visa

http://www.saudiembassy.net/services/visa/default.aspx

http://www.saudiembassy.net/services/Employment-visa.aspx

Section 5 of the rules for visa applications clearly states that you must have a letter, from the employer, sponsoring you and certified by the Chamber of Commerce and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, including further details of the Visa.

The letter with all the details could already be with the Saudi Consulate...

However, I would phone the Saudi Consulate to confirm this, before sending your passport

There has to be a visa before they can offer you the job, so I can't understand why you haven't signed a contract, if a visa is available. It won't make any difference, which comes first but you won't have a job without a contract.

The consulate may want to check your qualifications and release letter before issuing a visa

UJ
aardvark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a letter explaining the need for a visa.
Unfortunately, it's in Arabic and the only thing I understand on it is my email address.

In my job offer, there is no mention of medical services. I want to make sure I'm covered for medical, so I have to ask Jeddah if medical is covered.

The monthly salary is kinda low, but it makes up for it with a housing, travel, and furnishing allowance. This tells me I won't be living on a compound and I'll have to take taxis for transportation.

Is this kind of risky for a Yank in KSA?
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: CONTRACT Reply with quote

Aardvark, I agree with you that you need to see the contract because if it isn't in there, then you won't get it.

Accommodation, furnishings and utilities etc., should come with the job and should not be part of the salary. The electricity bill for the air conditioning will put a big hole in your pocket if you have to pay for it yourself. Furthermore, if it is private accommodation, you will have to pay a deposit for the electricity and telephone to be turned on. This can be the start of a nightmare. Is there a food allowance, as food can be very expensive, if you are eatng such things as Kellog's Corn Flakes and not the local food?

There are so many unknowns but you really need to negotiate everything before you leave and have it written into the contract, otherwise you won't have a case.

Finally, before you sign anything, insist on speaking to the other white American teachers about the employment conditions there. What their allowances are etc? Indian and Filipino teachers will have different conditions and salaries to yourself, so it's no good speaking to them.

UJ.
aardvark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going with the "Plan B" which is a different Uni in KSA and a bigger salary.

They just sent me a contract, but the word to other teachers is that a visa or contract first makes no difference, just make sure of the living arrangements and salary are specified.......yeah, medical too, we aren't getting younger....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: