ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another Italian scam?? ministero dell'istruzione

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dilly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: another Italian scam?? ministero dell'istruzione Reply with quote

I've enquired about the current job listing here apparently with the Ministero dell' Istruzione

http://www.eslemployment.com/language-teachers-needed-rome-roma-italy-30763462.htm

(08/18/12, and there was a previous one or two) and am told I'm shortlisted, and invited to an interview on 15 September (a Saturday) in Rome, travel and accommodation to be reimbursed on arrival. Aside from the surprising generosity of this offer, there is something peculiar with the email (actually from a gmail address routed through another and looking like a third - all vaguely 'istruzione' but not official-looking.)

There's also a link to a person who apparently will arrange the travel - an enquiry to her is bouncing, but I'm assuming now that this is all prelude to a request for prepayment, though there's been no mention yet.

And there's a link at the foot of the emails to a news story on the ministry's website that has nothing much to do with the need for language teachers.

Is anyone else in the midst of this too? Be careful!

UPDATE: just got an email from the travel consultant, which is ultimately coming from alitaliaairlinee@gmail.com... oh really.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: SCAMS Reply with quote

Hello Dilly

Welcome to the forum.

The first thing to do in all cases, is to contact the actual school or university directly via their website contact address and/or telephone number to find out whether the advertisement is genuine.

Only communicate with the contact details given on the school's website.

I will check out this advertisement

UJ
dilly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks UJ.

One of the issues here is that there is no school website - just a link (on the email) to the vast Ministry site, which didn't have any reference to these jobs, apparently at 12 institutes around Italy. The clues do come in the emails though - unofficial email addresses, lack of information, improbable offers and now that I've had one from the so-called Alitalia agent, a suspicious replicating of styles and fonts.

I'm just done with a similar dance with some Cameroonians (or whatever they really are). Disheartening.
dilly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

The pretendy Alitalia contact has now asked me for prepayment for a flight and accommodation, which apparently would be refunded by the ministry on arrival. Very definitely a scam.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: DELETED Reply with quote

That job posting has now been deleted too

UJ
fulcrum_lever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: I did this! Reply with quote

I have been going back and forth with these people for weeks...I tried to play it out as far as I could to see if they were truly a scam. They offered to do an interview that would take place in Rome, as you said. They were hounding me to put money in a Western Union account under some random woman's name. I flat out refused. Finally, out of the blue, they e-mailed me and accepted a Skype interview, as I had suggested to them previously. On the appointed day of the interview, they messaged me, but never did we do an actual video interview. I was a bit confused but answered their questions which were just very generic "why do you want this job?" types. They said they would contact me back by today, in fact, but I haven't heard form them. I am still on the fence about their shadiness, but I'll keep you informed on what I find out! How weird!
dilly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're not seriously considering that this is legit? There is no way that's an Alitalia agent. I'd dropped them when I realised, but they came back to me too out of the blue with a new date for Rome and a new price for the upfront travel costs.

I've been stringing them along now but not finding much amusement in it.

Disappointed to see there's another rash of probable scams on the Europe and Africa job ads - seeming to be in various countries, but teaching in Oman, but paid in CFA and all from a Hernstone Institute which remarkably for such an international organisation, doesn't have a web-presence...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: