ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Advice possible Scam? Italy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Need Advice possible Scam? Italy Reply with quote

I applied for a job posted on this site back in May, with Mediatori Linguistici in Ancona ( I searched for the ad but I don't think it's posted here any longer).

They sent me an application form, then a three page interview form which I completed. About a week later they advised I had the job and arranged for a skype call four days later. When I skyped however all that came up on the video was their logo and I couldn't seem to connect so we ended up messaging instead. They made me a very good offer( approx 2,000 euro/month plus accommodation-more than I was expecting) and sent me a contract the following week. The "contract" is more like a letter simply outlining the required hours and job benefits.

They gave me the email address for someone at portale immigrazione who I was to contact about my visa and another for someone at Air Italy who I was to contact regarding my flight which, according to the contract, they were to pay for.

I contacted immigration first and she asked me to send her the usual documents and wire her 190 Euro to cover the processing fee. I looked online and found the visa was only 60 Euro so I emailed the school to find out what the other 130 euro was for.

They replied that it was probably the work permit but I should contact the immigration consultant to confirm and that they, the school, would reimburse me for it. The consultant also replied that it was for the work permit. I could not find any information about the cost of that online though I did confirm that that is required. I wasn't totally comfortable with it, but I did wire the money two weeks ago.

I emailed the school last week to ask a question and also advise that I would not have access to email for a few weeks after this one. When they replied, they said that I needed to contact Air Italy about booking my flight. I had already contacted Air Italia once but hadn't heard back from them so I sent a follow up. What I got back was a flight itinerary, but no e-tickets, and a request that I wire them $875 USD (690 euro). I contacted the school and requested that they wire the money to the airline directly.

The school replied saying I was to pay it and they would reimburse me when I arrived. I advised them I don't have the money and inquired why the school couldn't pay it now rather than later. I was told the person who could approve that was away. Fair enough. I explained again that I don't have the money at the moment and asked when he might be back.

I haven't heard from them but I my doubts about this are growing.

Because this has been a fairly protracted process, I haven't really felt like it's a scam (scammers are usually in a hurry to get their money, aren't they?) and the amounts aren't entirely outlandish but I'm really not comfortable with these requests to wire money. I also know that it's usually quite difficult for a non-EU citizen to get work in Europe and this all seems a little bit too easy. The immigration consultant contacted me last week to say she will contact me this week regarding the status of my application.

The school does have a website (this site won't let me post it here) but I know that doesn't mean the people I'm emailing work there. There is no contact email address given on the website. I just noticed too that, like the Berlitz scam posted a few months back on this forum, the email address I have for the school is medlatori, not Mediatori, l not i, as the school name.

On the other hand the address that I am to wire the money for the plane tickets is, according to Google, legitimately an Air Italia office in Rome.

Any thoughts or advice?
Joanne Rosen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Run AWAY!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

It's a SCAM . . . they dropped out of sight for a while . . . they want MONEY upfront for your visa and work permit.

Sorry . . . been there, done that . . . didn't send the money via Western Union.

Joanne
eris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming what I already knew. Sometimes you just need to hear an external voice of reason before you can let go of the hope.

I've been home sick today and spent the last five hours digging around online and finally found what looks to be a legitimate email address for the director of the school. Definitely not the same. Wish I'd had/made the time to do that before. Ah well, lesson learned.

Sucks being back at square one with job search though.

Anyway, thanks again!
Joanne Rosen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Sigh . . . know what you mean Reply with quote

Hi,

We were pretty disheartened when we realized it was a scam. They have done it a few times. In fact, I think there is one listed right now for the Canadian Language Institute in Spain.

I tried the website(s) . . . under construction. I googled the company name and could ONLY find it in reference to their listings. However, I did find that listing once before in 2007. So, maybe their website is down??

Their visa expediter sent us a copy of "his work visa" and I was going to alert the Italian authorities. However, I doubt that the work visa is real either.

There are some legitimate schools in Italy who hire foreign teachers. Just remember, we NEVER have to pay them for anything. If there are flights, book them yourself. If they are paying for them, then let them send you the ticket confirmation number. (That is what our new employer in Saudi Arabia is doing)

Good luck with your job search!
allyd13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going through this agency called INDIBION that sounds about the same? Do you know anything about them?
They are in the interview process. It's a Business English agency and their website doesn't look great at all.
They said to buy the ticket through a consultant and would be reimbursed once arrival.
I wrote back saying we can't afford this and then they wrote back saying they would cover half the costs. Im waiting to hear back to see what they say as far as wiring or have us pay etc.
Does anyone know about this company?
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: SCAM Reply with quote

Hello Allyd13

It is a scam, so don't send them any money.

I have sent emails to the address given on the Indibion website and also to the owner of Indibion but have not received any replies. The website does not appear to be functional and so there is a possibility that the scammers are taking advantage of this by using the Indibion name and their own email address and telephone numbers.

We are deleting these advertisements from our Jobs Board today.

UJ
allyd13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for checking on this.
Well I haven't sent any money and wasn't going to. The only thing they wanted was for me to buy a plane ticket there for interview... but they told me.. you can pay credit card.
I obviously didnt.
However when "applying" We did send all our info that we would normally send a job... resume, passport scan, degree, etc. (Same stuff we have to send to korea when applying) so what will they try to do with that info?!? Ignore it and go on to the next victim or something worse?
katieb004

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone found out anything more on INDIBION in Milan, Italy?

I recieved the following message from them after indicating that I could not pay for my own ticket.

"They (Alitalia) have explain to us why they demand you to pay via western union, but we have instructed them to book your ticket, e-mail you the confirmmation number to confirm the ticket, then you can pay them via western union within the same 24 hours.

Note that they have been booking for our employee for years without any problem, kindly cooperate with them".

IS this still a scam?
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: YES, IT IS STILL A SCAM Reply with quote

Katieb004

Yes, the advertisement, which was on our website, was a scam, for the following reasons:

Their telephone number is not in use and in any case it is a Rome telephone number and not a Milan telephone number, where their office is supposed to be...

The IP address, they used, is located in Naples and not Milan, where their office is supposed to be...

Their email address portaleimmigrazione@gmail.com is not the same as the email address on the Indibion website, which is info@indibion.com

Finally, the postal code for their address should be 20158 and not 20100, which is rather strange that they don't know their own postal code

However, I have been unable to contact anyone associated with the Indibion website and it appears to me that it is not now in use and the scammers are taking advantage of that fact.

IGNORE THEIR EMAILS

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: