ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End of Contract - Fight Home Money Disagreement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buttons

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: End of Contract - Fight Home Money Disagreement Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate your help with this:

It is coming to the end of my years contract with a hagwon next week, but instead of going home, I'm starting a new job straight away.

My boss is willing to pay for a flight home but he called me into the office today to show me a one-way flight back to London that cost $600 NOT inc.taxes and fees. He said the recruitment agent he's dealing with at the moment said he wasn't required to pay for taxes and fees on my flight as I'm staying in Korea.

The cheapest flight I found for the date I would've been flying home was $1400 one-way inc.taxes and fees.

I know there is no way in hell I would be able to find a flight that cost only $600 to get home, so I said that the fact I'm not visiting home until Feb should be irrelevant because my current contract with him states he will provide me with the (total) cost of a one-way ticket home!

$1400 is a lot of money yes, but my flight here was $1200. I would probably be happy to go down to $1000...

Has the agent misinformed him or was he correct?

Many thanks in advance.
dcklondon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, who would know? You. Or at least you should. Have you read your contract? What does it say? Does it say a rtn flight at the end of your employment or at the end of your contract? If you're staying on and renewing your contract then this might count as extending your existing contract. If it says at the end of your employment, then perhaps because you're taking up another post with them your employment isn't finished. Your employer could be right.

But, if at the end of the day, it turns out you're right and your employer should be paying the full whack, but won't, you have to ask yourself what you're prepared to do about it. Fight (and maybe get nowhere -literally and figuratively) or bite the bullet? Frankly, the whole thing sounds a bit dodgy and smacks of one of those 'small print' things.

Know your rights, read your contract, ask questions, get answers, speak with your employer and, in this case, the agency as well.

Good luck.
St. George

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Take him to court Reply with quote

I should imagine by now ( since you posted August 2008) that it has all been sorted out.

The employer has to pay for the ticket, including taxes, at the end of your contract, even though you weren't leaving until February 2009.

Taking him to court is the only way to do it and I hope you did so!

St. G
boldadventurer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: plane tickets home Reply with quote

Not many schools offer any tickets 'home' --even reputable ones, so be glad of anything. One Amideast, from Tunis, would pay to the nearest (read cheapest) east coast airport.
From China, I also had one extra payment that was a small percent of my salary to be used for a ticket to the west coast...at least I could use the money any way I chose...and it helped with the extra 6 weeks I spent traveling inside China before leaving for my next job in Tunisia.

Most schools in Asia cannot be 'taken to court' as someone suggested. Even if they do not honor the written contract, you have little recourse. I have never had any problems with my various schools and I have taught on 5 continents...but maybe I have been lucky--and I work independently--look onthe Internet, correspond with a school, and go. Hoping of course, it will all be okay!
gzq

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually return home annually but every school I have worked for has put a monetary figure on the allowance they would give for annual returns home and that is what they pay me. No actual ticket. I usually try to get the school to agree to pay out the airfare allowance on a monthly basis along with my salary. Not all schools are reputable. Like it sounds yours is not.
RoseV8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Airfare Home? Reply with quote

I have yet to personally meet anyone who has had an airfare home paid by a school in China or anywhere else for that matter. Agents draw up these contracts and if your employer honors any of it you can think yourself lucky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: