ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA Ed vs. MA TESOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Life_to_the_Lees

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: MA Ed vs. MA TESOL Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm currently a student at a reputable American University getting my bachelor's degree in English. I plan on following this up with TEFL certification and my MA Ed. This particular Masters program results in a Masters of Education and teaching licensure in the state of Virginia, which will generally transfer to most other states. However, my primary interest is establishing a TEFL career overseas (i.e. making it more of a life-long thing rather than a backpacking stint.) From what I've read thus far, getting a Masters is a good way in setting myself apart. My question is, are employers going to differentiate between my MA Ed and say, a masters degree in TESOL. Is one strongly preferable to the other?
crueckert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about how schools view a MA in TESOL vs an MA in Education, as most schools abroad will be happy with your BA and TEFL certificate. Some experience would be good as well.

Though you don't really need a Masters degree to teach abroad, it should secure you a position with a decent salary. Once you have some experience, you might look for a position as a DOS at a private English school, a writer/editor at an ELT publishing house, or as an EAP teacher in a university.

Good luck!
crueckert@eslemployment.com

"I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand." - Chinese Proverb
ortneyb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: a question about degrees Reply with quote

i am teaching in Japan, and what i have found is that a degree or a BA seems to be a requirement only so that companies can hire foreign teachers and get them into the country more easily.

In the end what we see are a bunch of "teachers" with irrelevant degrees. For example, a BA in philosophy or economics teaching english.

At the same time we have many teachers with no degrees who are simply amazing.

i am certain that being proficient in English as well as being able to teach or better yet, having teaching experience would be enough. Having a degrees and the sort would probably benefit a teacher on some level but i wonder whether it should be a deciding factor.

your opinions?

o..
boldadventurer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Masters value Reply with quote

As posted above, mostly the schools just want a degree, TEFL certification, and EXPERIENCE. I want to teach again in Europe but can't since I am not an EU citizen, and hoped my Masters would help. Mostly what ALL schools like is my significant experience...so I would suggest you go to places you can get experience without hoping for say, Italy or France, and then work your way to your 'favorite locations.'
Experience is the most valuable, but the degree and certificates are required.
Good luck.
MacTeri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced the same!
If you have an academic degree but no experience you are less wanted than if you have a degree and experience.
The next important factor is as well the age.
Many companies think that the younger you are the greater your retentiveness.
boldadventurer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: I would disagree with the last part Reply with quote

I have found that most schools, in all countries, have had more 'leave in the middle of contracts or even middle of the night' problems with younger 'teachers.' The problem may be that many young people think they can drop things that are not fun, or that they don't like the poor pay, or that it did require more knowledge of say, grammar, than they had....and just the idea that they wish to do more in a hurry (see more, do more, go more) than people who are older and have had more life experience--meaning know better how to handle disappointment, problems with employers, students, poor pay, etc.
I do not wish to denigrate hard-working, responsible young people, but schools have MORE problems with the general group of the young, than the older. Even knowing the older might only work 1-2-3 years, but their experience showing that they will commit and fulfill what they do agree on, is an advantage.

I am older than dirt, and have never had a problem getting a job--especially if I applied in person....and then when I showed my work history and the willingness of former employers to recommend me? The only problem with getting to the 'best' places is working with regulations that require time to process now--EU regs are intentionall slow to discourage schools from going around the rules---so there in lies the rub (thanks Mr. Shakespeare)---schools don't want anyone of any age if it will take a long time and a lot of expense to get them hired legally...

But all the qualifications AND experience, no matter the age, is the ticket...to your best shot. Go get experience with employers who are able to vouch for your reliability...Good luck.
hughride

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I do hope to hear from others on these subjects. I may have asked too many questions in one post...Either that or everyone's on vacation.

I think going for a PhD may be going overboard for my goals. I think a Master's will suffice; it's just a question of which program/which school.

I've been searching the board's archives and it looks like the MEd vs. MA/Applied Linguistics question comes up a lot, with no real consensus either way.

I don't know if either university has a rep in the TESOL community. As I said, the only real distinction I'm aware of right now is that SDSU's MA in Applied Linguistics would be cheaper than Alliant's MEd.

If anyone has experience with either school or has heard anything about the programs (or has an opinion on the differences/flexibility of them), please let me know.
markc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes absolutely no difference whether you have an MA (TESOL), MA in applied linguistics, or an MEd (TESOL). The emphasis of the course may be different, but if your aim is to teach English in a university overseas they are equal.

A PhD is often preferred now, and most likely will be much more in the future.
Zzark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MATESOL or M.Ed. in TESOL - pretty much the same. If you get an M.Ed. in another area, educational psychology, and get some sort of PGCE in TEFL - that would be a good mix. I tend to think that a broader and deeper understand of learning helps one understand teaching better. But that is my bias.

You will find schools that want only an MATESOL, some universities/colleges in the Middle East for example, but overall not much difference in access to the better jobs at the tertiary level.

As the previous poster mentions, a Ph.D. is becoming the flavor of the month and it would not hurt to just push on through to get one. I got my first masters degree before everyone had one and it made my career path much easier than that of my competitors for good positions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: