ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: MA Reply with quote

An MA in Education with a Linguistics focus is great. I got one from the Open University. Lots of hard work and sweat but well worth the effort. However, it would not get me a job teaching ESL. For that you need specific training. I suggest CELTA whch is a world wide certification that will get you in any door after your BA. With an MA that would be icing on the cake. I have a CELTA as well. And now a PGCE which qualifies me to teach in any school in the UK. Lots of hard work.....five years of studying but I am qualified for anything!
jamesride

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: MA Reply with quote

MA is the best subject.......
hughride

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: MA Reply with quote

I would go after an MA in Spanish. It takes less time and would look better than a BA.

Maybe you could take a semester of pre reqs at a community college and then apply to MA programs. You could even enroll in a class or two now for this fall and apply to programs for the sping (if available) or next fall.

Plus 2 years in an MA will be cheaper than 4 years in a BA and maybe you could even study abroad and travel back to Chile!
____
best colleges in us
rabies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is often the case! From experience you need to get some kind of work experience. That will almost certainly help you get the job you want.
Jalom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Open University Reply with quote

Hello;

I know this is an old thread but the mention of Open University caught my eye and I'd love to hear more about your experience there. I have been looking at the same program, the MA in Education (Applied Linguistics). I have a basic TESOL certification and plenty of experience, but it seems like a MA opens doors.

I am trying to decide which program is appropriate, given my career goals and current situation. Any insight or advice would be very welcome and appreciated!

I am a US citizen, so I am pretty sure that a MA would make me more competitive in Europe, where the job market is extremely tight and EU citizens have an easier time. It is also an entry requirement for US higher education institutions.

(My partner will be studying and working in Europe for a few years. That is why I am trying to butt in to this market.)

Since I can't stop working and go back to school full-time, and I am not getting any younger, I am only considering distance education or low-residency programs. I have been accepted to SIT, which I know is a great school, but it's very, very expensive, even with a scholarship, and going with Open University would give me a comparable level of training, an accredited MA, and would leave me debt-free! I also applied to New School--haven't heard back yet--but it's about the same as SIT.

Open University gives you the option of taking the Trinity Licentiate Diploma in TESOL and applying that study towards the MA. If anyone knows anything about how the Trinity Dip is regarded, especially in Europe, or has taken it, I would be very interested in hearing what you have to say too!

In the long term, I probably will want to live in the US and an MA is generally required for teaching in Intensive English Programs at universities and community colleges.

What I DON'T know is whether the Open University MA would be less useful for me because a) it's distance education or b) it's from the UK. Either or both of these factors could negatively impact the hiring decisions of US universities (yes, completely unjustifiably, I know), but I believe that extensive experience and demonstrable knowledge should more than make up for any disadvantage I would have. Does anyone agree or disagree?

I know I am offering a lot of information; I am trying to articulate all of my relevant considerations. Again, thank you to anyone willing to take the time to read, consider, and comment.

Jamie
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: OPEN UNIVERSITY Reply with quote

Hello Jalom

Welcome to the forum.

Check this out: "An American's view of distance learning"

http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=4645&highlight=#4645

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: