ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

employer wants to give me commercial visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: employer wants to give me commercial visa Reply with quote

I don't exactly have a contract.....it's called a conditiional offer of employment. There's a probation period and the rent is deducted from my salary. Everything looks OK, but the employer wants to give me a "commercial" visa.

This could be a faster way of processing the visa, which makes it quicker than Saudi ways. However, there is the drawback of entering with a business visa. Many people say don't do it, but I really need the $$.

Any opinions out there? Question
St. George

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: LEGAL Reply with quote

Hello Aardvark

I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience of this but I understand that this is legal.

The employer will apply to the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs, with a letter of invitation, for a Temporary Work Visa, which is essentially a Business Visa. The employer isn't giving you the visa, so you don't have to worry about the legitimacy of the visa.

Contact the Saudi Consulate just to confirm this.

However, my worry would be that you have no contract. It is normal to have a 3 month probationary period written into the contract, so the employer would be covered there, if you weren't satisfactory.. Nevertheless, there is nothing stopping the employer from giving you a short term contract for the probationary period, otherwise you won't have a leg to stand on when things go wrong.

If you haven't got in writing, then you have nothing at all.

Never trust an Arab...

St. G
aardvark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Kuwait employer, I just don't want to advertise that fact.
they want me to send the docs to the ministry of foreign affairs first for verification, then to the Kuwait embassy for more verification (it's BS, I know).

Then when they are finished, they will send me a commercial visa, which is good for 90 days (just in case I don't work out).

After 90 days, I'm golden. I can stay in Kuwait and teach 3 semester per year.....man, that's a lot. I think I'll have to stay for Ramadan.

On top of this, I think my visa agency just lost my docs......(F'N morons!) Confused
aardvark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, they didn't lose my docs.
Kuwait sent a commercial visa and when I arrive in K. City, I give them my police report, medical report, and verified degree. Then, the docs are verified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Kuwait Embassy.

the difference between Kuwait and KSA is that the Saudis make you jump thru hoops before they say, "No." When I find out what Kuwaitis do, I'll let you know.
St. George

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: KUWAITIS Reply with quote

Actually, the Saudis don't like the Kuwaitis.

I was in Saudi during the Gulf War when the Kuwaitis came over to Saudi for sanctuary but the Kuwaiti women were too forward and outspoken and that upset the Saudis. I assume therefore, that the Kuwaitis are not so strict and so I would be interested to know how you get on.

St. G
aardvark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Bank says one thing, employer says another Reply with quote

The civil ID card is the Q80 version of the green card. It's necessary to open bank accounts and do financial things in country.

I went to the bank and the manager told me that I could get it in about a week from my employer.
My employer tells me I have to wait 3 to 4 months until I get it. They already have my police report, medical report, and verification of MA degree. By coincidence, 90 days is the length of probation period. Does this mean that I have to twist in the wind until I get the civil ID? Probation ends in May. I have taxes to pay in April. This is not a good situation to be in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: