ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL teacher in Central/South America??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in the Central & South Americas...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetnatalie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: ESL teacher in Central/South America?? Reply with quote

Hey Guys!

I have just graduated from teacher's college and got my B.Ed degree and taught a little in Peru. I am interested in teaching somewhere SAFE in Central or South America. Any suggestions would help? (btw, I really don't want to do a TEFL course...now that I have just paid and studied so hard for my degree..)

Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for starters, you should check the job postings on this site here...

http://www.eslemployment.com/esl-jobs.htm
HollyC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: teaching in Peru Reply with quote

Hi. Is there a specific reason you are leaving Peru? I will be going to Peru in January 2007 and will be there for a while. I was wondering where you worked. I will either be in Lima or Cusco. I want to know if there are particular schools I should avoid and/or schools that have a good reputation. I have been teaching ESL for 8 years and have a CELTA. Any information would be great.

Thanks.
Alianza_79

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Working in Central America Reply with quote

I am working in El Salvador and enjoying the experience of living here. Central America is a stimulating experience but you are right to be concerned about potential dangers in the region.

El Salvador is a very unique and enjoyable country to live in and I have spent 2 years here in total without encountering many problems. However, my experience of working in Honduras was a different story altogether! I was employed full-time at a school in the North of Honduras last year and though the school was fine and most of the facilities were good, the city where I lived was burdened with so much delinquency and drug problems. I left when it became too dangerous and I feared even working in the school as there were serious drug and alcohol problems even within the institution, whose name I won´t mention. I left the country traumatized by the experience after only a few months of living there.

If you want to work in Central America then the best places are perhaps Mexico, El Salvador or Panama on account of my own experiences and those I have heard from other teachers. Avoid both Guatemala or Honduras as the dangers there outweigh any of the rewards.

Best of luck with finding work in Central America!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, thank you. Let me add Costa Rica to your list as one of the better destinations in Central America. Part of my job is help teachers gain employment in Latin America and many I sent to Costa Rica report it as a great place.
cobuild

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Be careful with Wall Street Institute in Ecuador Reply with quote

I was planning to teach English in Ecuador, but it seems that the World Wide English Institute named Wall Street Institute, is not following standards:

Look for Wall Street Institute in Blogspot

Therefore I have changed my plans, so I am going to Peru instead of Ecuador.

Hope this information is valuable for you all.
cobuild

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: I found the link Reply with quote

Here is the link of the Blog, I mentioned before:

http://wall-street-institute-ecuador.blogspot.com/
Jeffery

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Teaching English in Ecuador Reply with quote

Does anyone have information about teaching in Guayaquil, Ecuador. The last post about Wall Street Institute in Ecuador was alarming. Just wondering if there is any news.
Regards,
Jeff
bilinguallearner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolivia is a wonderful, fascinating, tranquil country to experience! The media makes a lot of the political unrest, but I lived through it for 3 years and never had a problem. I think if you stay away from the strikes in La Paz, you'd be fine. Let's see- what's good about Bolivia- it is soooooo different from the Western world-big city culture almost every country seems to have nowadays- even in the capital cities, you can see people in traditional dress leading their cows through the street and you'll be hard-presssed to find a Pizza Hut, Mcdonald's etc. The Andes are so beautiful and really seem to have cut off this country from the negative aspects of the modern world. The food is great, the Spanish is clear and pure, the people are friendly/quiet/unassuming. I could go on and on. Some other wonderful South American countries to work/live: Argentina (amazing culture and not too expensive), Uruguay, and I really like Ecuador- just stay out of the big, big cities.

Hope this helps!
roybern

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Teaching In Bolivia ? Reply with quote

I am trying to get a teaching position at Santa Cruz International School in the Eastern lowlands of Bolivia. Responses so far are favorable and they begin in September.
I am encouraged by the comments of bilinguallearner and think you could have the best of both worlds there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in the Central & South Americas... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: