ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is MBA but no undergrad acceptable??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaydee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Is MBA but no undergrad acceptable?? Reply with quote

Hi all, am new to this forum.

I am an English citizen but have lived in Australia for the last 10 years. I have finally decided to take the plunge and start a career in teaching. TEFL to begin with in Europe.

I have done some research and have seen that a BA + CELTA etc is a prettty standard prerequisite. I will be starting my CELTA in Seville in 10 days time and can't wait. On the degree side I have started my MBA (mature student entry / no undergrad - accepted into MBA degree with 8 years management in publishing) and have to date completed the Graduate Certificate component (1 semester of 3) of the course (Economics, accounting, leadership and communication and marketing, completed to date) I intend on completing my MBA via correspondence whilst in Europe and teaching (abw). Also, I have dips in Tourism and Hospitality Management (1year course) obtained back in 1991.

I am 31 years old. Does anyone have any advice as to whether or not my background and status will hinder me in anyway with regard to getting employment?

Preferably i would like to get an one year contract initially to get some experience under my belt and then look at the next careers step after that is done. As I have read though - the first job is the hardest!

If anyone could offer me some advice and insight would be greatly appreciated. I will be hoping/available to start work in June-ish

Thanks
fischeredward

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: RE: MBA w/o undergrad....hinerance or not? Reply with quote

Hi:

I feel that the best way to find that answer would be to apply for some positions in locations and organizations that you really aren't interested in teaching at. In other words do a test marketing project and see what the results are. Find out what the obstacles, if any, are. Then determine what you have to do in order to overcome those obstacles that you find are a hindrance?
The CELTA or TRINITY plus the degree are pretty much a standard for the better jobs. But nothing is "written in stone." Your background in publishing may be presented in such a way as to appear as a real asset. No doubt you've heard the story of the woman who applies for an accounting job without experience nor degree. She emphasizes her managing the household finances, her husband's business expenses as well as their estate and retirement planning, and in turn is hired for the position. You need to do a PR and marketing job for yourself.
Perhaps another forum reader can reply with some specifics that may help you out.
Good luck to you! ejf
Benett5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can do it but I think you need to do marketing of your own as told in earlier post too. I think if you do international MBA from good schools like Thunderbird laureate partnership program then you can get things done in your favor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: