ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in USA higher education-- getting 3rd world wages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL on the North American Continent . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Working in USA higher education-- getting 3rd world wages Reply with quote

Those of you who have read my posts know that I got a graduate degree for the purpose of finding meaningful work in the USA.

However, a small minority of education leaders (lets call them the 1 percent) feel that our education, our work, and our value as teachers is fit for poverty wages as we scramble to make ends meet.

Teachers are constantly made to work part-time at various colleges desperately hoping that a full-time position will open up and they can join the ranks of full-time tenured professors (at comm. college or public/private universities). However, there is a growing trend as teachers with MA and Ph.d degrees are forced to accept welfare and/or food stamps. This is unacceptable for a country that considers itself to be the leader of the free world! But is it unacceptable for the 1 percent?

Read this article and decide for yourself:

http://chronicle.com/article/From-Graduate-School-to/131795/
aardvark

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Executive summary of Chronicle article Reply with quote

For those of you who didn't have time to read it, there are 2 places where you get lousy wages (low enough to force you into welfare):

Yavapai College AZ

Northwest Florida State College FL

Don't work at these colleges and don't accept a flat fee for teaching a course that's lower than the average....(about $2500). 8)
aardvark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, I feel like I'm talking at a wall.
At my LinkedIn site, there are spammers who post ads for teaching ESL at various colleges in the U.S. For those who think that U.S. universities pay the best wages, here is proof otherwise:
Black Hawk College (IL) offered $15 per hour to part time ESL teachers.
Kansas City CCD offered $25K for a full time ESL teacher and the job required recruiting volunteer teachers. Basically, you are cutting your own throat if U work these jobs......the race to the bottom continues....

Was there a time when teachers were respected and recruited for the work they did? it's turning into a hazy memory.........
Embarassed
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: COLLEGE RATES Reply with quote

Just to compare those figures with colleges in the UK. The rate here is 23/hr = $36/hr Part Time and Full Time.

UJ
aardvark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that my original post on this web site was an offer from Beijing, China where I was paid the equivalent of $25,000 per year AND I got an apartment with utilities. This was back in 2008.

Now Kansas City makes their stingy offer of working full time for $25K and you have to pay your own rent. It makes you want to leave the U.S. permanently.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: BASIC RATE Reply with quote

The basic rate now, in UK Colleges, is 30/hr = $47/hr
nelsonwilliam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: DELETED Reply with quote

Off topic, therefore deleted UJ
aardvark

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: do something about it Reply with quote

For those of you who are fed up with part-time teaching at multiple universities, or maybe you worked 16-18 years part time with no medical or dental benefits, then it's time you did something about it......
Unionize.....the elites in their ivory towers don't give a sh$%t about you and won't until you do something at the collective level.

Sign this petition here:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#inbox/143dea70f32d08f0

I don't think this site gets many American academics, but if you are one and you got tired of having nothing to show for your hard work, then network and find other people who are as pissed off as you are... Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL on the North American Continent . . . All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: