ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone heard of DD dragon School?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobarch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Has anyone heard of DD dragon School? Reply with quote

I'm applying for a job with DD Dragon for teaching in china. Has anyone heard of them? Are they reputable?

heres a link to their ad.
jacobarch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/index.cgi?read=22713

Their job link
goodwitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: DD Dragon school Reply with quote

Hiya Jacobarch,

I have asked around with my Chinese friends here in Dubai to check out the school's website but it seemed blocked and they are unable to view the school's site. Anyhow, they advised that just go on with the application and see what they can offer.

I will still try to ask friends who are teaching in China to check out the school's website.

Good luck.

Goodwitch
gzq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jacobarch;

I, too, have seen these ads and tried to respond to them. I get no answer when calling their listed phone numbers and no replies to my emails to them.

Hope you have better luck.
carmensandiego

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: DD Dragon Reply with quote

Hello... in regards to DD Dragon, it has a decent reputation among the schools here. I've been in Shanghai for four years now, and it was one of the first places I checked out when I came. I'm not sure about centers in other cities besides Shanghai, but last I knew it was being run by an Australian and they were known for being fair to their employees. They even teamed up with a TEFL certification program from Chicago and were allowing the students to do their student teaching there.
As far as teaching in China, it's always good to look around and compare what each place is willing to offer, but beware because you really can't trust what a lot of the schools may be advertising, nor have a very good idea about its location/conditions. If you already know that you're coming to China and know which city you want to live in, after my experiences here I would honestly recommend coming first and going to the places to check them out for yourself. It's not hard to find a job in a city like Shanghai if you're a qualified ESL teacher, and that way you know exactly what to expect.
Also, websites like smartshanghai .com or shanghaiexpat .com may be of help as well.
Good luck!
BobBob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Deleted Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by BobBob on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
cangzhou

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: DD Dragon Reply with quote

I have just returned from visiting my daughter who is currently teaching at a DD Dragon franchise in Cangzhou. She has already been there for 6 months, since Nov 2012 and will be there until Nov 2013. She is 24 and has a degree - a requirement - this is checked by the Chinese Government and if found to be a fraud you will be sent home. Before being taken on she had to have a thorough medical and the proprietor arranged for her visa, which is a valid working visa. She enjoys her job and is well supported by the staff and owner of the school. I am a qualified teacher and was impressed with the way the school was run and have no issues at all regarding the way it is run. She is genuine and passionate. I watched a couple of classes and have photos and a video if anyone is genuinely interested in finding out more. I am also happy to vouch for this as an amazing opportunity. Cangzhou is 1hour away from Beijing on the bullet train and a ticket from Beijing cost us between 7 - 10 dependent on whether non-stop (40mins) or stopping (1 hr 10m). When my daughter first arrived there were a team of 7 English-speaking staff and there are currently only 5. More staff are required if anyone is looking for an experience of a lifetime.
merlinsnozzle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished a one year contract working for the DD Dragon School, Cangzhou - Dawn International English School. During my time there I was the only American teacher, all others came from both England and Australia. I am the only American in the history of the school to last longer than 3 months, although there were many times when I almost left myself.

When I first arrived I was the 6th teacher at the school and by the time I left there were 9. During my entire year there were never enough classes for all the teachers. Majority of the teachers were given a full class load, while others like myself were given only a handful and then used as substitute teachers. I would've been OK with this except for the fact that 3 teachers that arrived after me were given full course loads while I only had 2. The school advertised that there was indeed an American teacher and many parents would come to the school hoping to have their child taught by the American but would get turned away from the school's manager for various reasons.

The sizes of the classes are small and rather easy to maintain. There is a Chinese Teacher/Translator in the classroom with you. These TAs are incredible. They truly go above and beyond what is required of them to help out the Foreign Teacher as well as their students. However, these women are extremely overworked and tired all the time (quite understandable). Both the school's manager (Lisa) and owner (Shishi) feel that the TAs should be grateful for their position and are seen as easily replaceable. But the TA turnover-rate is rather ridiculous; during my one year, almost a dozen TAs began working and subsequently quit because of the workload that was expected of them. These women are put in charge of the Chinese lessons the school has, often without a say in the matter. And are forced to go on the little trips the school plans and not allowed to use the time to go and spend time with their families (like they want). All the support staff of the school, the TAs and school's receptionist, speak exceptional English. However Shishi and Lisa do not. Be forewarned that there will be many problems with communications because they do not understand what you are saying. More times than I can count, I had to use a TA at the school to translate to either Lisa or Shishi about a particular issue I was having. This got extremely frustrating since they would refuse to resolve the matter bases off of their inability to understand.

There is a receptionist at the school, Kelly, who is just an incredible woman. She is always willing to help the Foreign Teacher in whatever they may need and is all-around a spectacular woman. The school would not be able survive without her behind the front desk.

The parents and children of the school are a different matter. While majority of them are fine and easy to get along with, many cause problems. It is the school's policy to listen to the parents at all costs, completely disregarding the Foreign Teacher and TA's thoughts and ideas. Often classes were completely changed around, from the class size to the TA, all because the parents did not like a particular aspect. Shishi and Lisa will listen to them before anyone else and it often causes many problems and discontent among the Foreign Teachers.

The owner of the school, Shishi, is rarely there. She, unquestionably, cares for the school and everyone that works there but often goes about in a very strange way. Every 2 weeks there is a staff meeting where she will give comments on each FT and TA, whether it be good or bad and whether or not a public setting is the best place to say such things. During my year the meetings were filled with tears. From Shishi and the Chinese Teachers - who were crying because of criticism they received from Shishi. These criticisms caused at least 4 separate TAs to quit. Me and the other Foreign Teachers had a belief, that if Shishi thinks of something in English during these meetings, she instantly says them without thinking of the consequence. She has the grand ideas to make the school more well-known and reputable, but has no real follow through. You will often be forced (there is no refusing at DD Dragon, Cangzhou) to do activities throughout the city that she feels helps promote the school, but that actually has no real effect. She truly wishes the school to be better, but has a very unclear idea of how to achieve this goal. Me and the other teachers adopted a policy for these meetings - if you had a true problem that you wanted/needed to be taken care of it was best to speak about it outside of the meeting to the manager in a one-on-one setting. That was normally the only way something could be accomplished.

The only way I can I describe my time working for the school was different. I had no real expectations of what working for the school would be like, which was probably for the best. I enjoyed the TAs and the school's receptionist. As well as the comradeship that me and the other Foreign Teachers were able to form. The actual amount of time that you have to be at the school outside of teaching is very minimal and most of the students will make you happy to be there. You're extremely close to Beijing, which is good since there is very little to do in Cangzhou. Some downsides are that you only have one day off a week, which can be changed to none to make up for days the school is closed for holidays. My biggest problem with my time there was that for 8 out of the 12 months I was there, I never had a full set of classes. it got very boring being at the school (since it was required) but having nothing to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: