ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Muslim and Female - HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umeed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Muslim and Female - HELP! Reply with quote

I am currently studying for my Trinity TESOL cert. I will be qualified in June 2005. I was hoping to travel the world and teach. I didn't think this would be too difficult - but I've come across some posts on this site where non-whites are having trouble finding jobs in EFL.

Does this mean I've been kidding myself for the past few months. I am a female Muslim, I wear a headscarf and I have olive skin!

However, I am a native speaker and have grown up in Hertfordshire, England. So my accent if fairly neutral. Could this work in my favour?

Should I stick to teaching ESOL in the UK?

Does anyone have any advice for me? Any comments will be very much appreciated.

Thank you
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Female muslim, native speaker with olive skin Reply with quote

I think you have all the attributes for teaching ESL in a muslim country. Men are not allowed to teach females in many muslim countries and therefore, there is no competition from them. However, you do get females teaching males but I wouldn't recommend that, as it is a man's world out there. You won't have the same freedom as you have in the UK and you should really give this aspect a lot of thought. You are protected by the law in the UK but you will be a second class citizen abroad.
You really need to talk to a female muslim expat with olive skin but unless you are Arabic, then I wouldn't recommend you going to Bahrain, Saudi or Libya.

Last edited by unionjack on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
umeed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply unionjack.

I am actually of Kashmiri origin. The only Muslim country I'd probably consider working in is the UAE.

But I would also like to work in Europe and the Far East. I'd want to travel with my partner and young daughter. Do you think this would hinder my chances of being accepted for a jobs? I don't see it as being a big problem if they travel on tourist visa's and we make our own travel/accommodation arrangements. Is it something you would declare at the interview?

Are there many EFL teachers who travel with families?

Thanks
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Contracts Reply with quote

Umeed

I think it is a good idea to take your family with you, as it can be lonely working away from home and it is protection for you too.

It depends on the contract you are offered; either accompanied or unaccompanied. If it is accompanied, then the employer will pay the air fares for you and your family and also provide the accommodation, which may be rent free but you would be expected to pay for utilities i.e., electricity, gas, water and telephone etc.

The unaccompanied contract means single and on your own without your family

There is another category, which is single but accompanied, which means that they would pay for your travelling expenses and accommodation but you would have to make your own arrangements for your family to join you. This is what you were suggesting.

Some companies prefer expats to have their families with them because they are more settled and are more likely to stay longer.

I think it is advisable to tell them, at interview, that you want to bring your family with you. However, you really need to check out the details of the contract before going for interview and in that way, you will avoid any misunderstanding.

It is quite common for expats to take their families with them or at the very least to arrange for them to visit, during the school holidays. The reason why there are so many unaccompanied teachers on the circuit, is because they are not married and therefore, don't have a family.

I think I am right in saying that a British subject does not need a visa to visit the UAE but after 3 months a residence visa will be required.

Poland and the Ukraine are looking for ESL teachers and you don't have to be white. Check it out on this forum.

UJ
afzal2112

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi Arabia is very strict and religious, but a good place to live. They eat great food and there main dish is Kapsa maybe you know, also you should be careful when traveling around and stay off certain places coz it can get violent if u step in somebodys land.
teflonlinereviews

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a terrible state of affairs when ESL teachers are marginalised because of their colour or faith. My advice is to apply as you would normally and any school which isn't responsive isn't worth the effort anyway.
suhailjan5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Saudi Arabia is good place of live, but on that time any accuation every body must be too bor life.
Mokhles82

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I recommend you to apply for a job in all Muslim countries; you wouldn't be faced with any problems. I am from Kurdistan Northern part of Iraq, we have many Universities, private schools and language centers and they are hiring English language teacher from every nationality. I met some of them they are very happy to work with our students and people. I read from one of the replies, it says that you wouldn't be protected by Law, I agree with him or her attitude, but our people's manners, customs and hospitality will grant you a safe life.

Thanks
Erbil, Iraq
St. George

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: MUSLIMS KILLING MUSLIMS Reply with quote

Mokhles82

What about the muslims killing muslims in Iraq and muslims killing muslims in Afghganistan and muslims killing muslims in Pakistan and muslims killing muslims in Egypt and muslims killing muslims in Libya and muslims killing the British in Tunisia. All very recent and still continuing...

St. G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: