ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oxford Seminars is a scam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emmanuelle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Oxford Seminars is a scam Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this is not the right category for this topic. I just want to share my personal experience with the school "Oxford Seminars" and warn as many future ESL teachers as possible. Some of you may have had a great experience with them but I think it's also important to show this other side of the coin.

My experience with Oxford Seminars was a complete failure. They promised to contact many schools in Mexico, Costa Rica, Argentina and in Brazil and they only contacted 2 schools in Costa Rica. My partner Erik finished at the same time and one month later, they still haven't edited his resume and his cover letter. They are, indeed, supposed to help write your resume and your cover letter and they still haven't done anything for my partner.

Also, their website is absolutely not updated, I trusted their list and sent many emails to different schools and most of them bounced. Very professional indeed... and when I tried to contact someone about this issue, I felt like I was imposing and I was the problem (it's very convenient, isn't it?)

I just have the feeling I spent $1095 for nothing but unfortunately, I can't ask for a complete refund because I'm not a native english speaker. You can be refunded only if you are a native english speaker and there are many non native english speakers who don't even dare complaining because they are afraid of whatever consequences. Please, be careful, there are many scams out there and Oxford seems to not be a exception.

Emmanuelle
Lexicon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty common knowledge Oxford Seminars is both a scam and from a training standpoint a total joke. Yet for some reason sites (even this one) keep taking their money and posting their ads which just enables them to rip off more and more prospective teachers each day.

My Blog: http://calleteach.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lincoln223

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Oxford Seminars Reply with quote

It seems unreasonable to call Oxford a scam and a joke. It is completely understandable to have had a bad experience with the program, but with the number of clearly qualified educators it employs, it's silly to identify the whole thing as a ripoff. Granted, you won't get in-class experience or learn the basics of grammar, but what can you expect in a weekends-only course? The Seminar, at least the one in which I'm currently enrolled, has thus far provided me with good fundamentals on managing a classroom and planning lessons.

You can't expect to become a Master's level educator during a 60-hour course, but I expect that the skills and understanding that I have and will gain through the program will augment my ability to teach what I know. If you want to learn to teach grammar, take the course and then learn proper grammar independently. If you want to get classroom experience, go with a program that claims that as part of it. It is unfair to call a program a "scam" because it fails to do something that it never advertises.
markc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emmanuelle, What exactly did you get for your $1,095? How was the training? Or was the main point to end up with a job through their contacts?
mda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: NOT a scam Reply with quote

Sorry, I can't disagree more with Oxford being a scam... the purpose of the program is to give a person the training to begin a career, not to give them a career after just 60 hours as the last poster wrote. I'm sorry the first poster didn't have a good experience, but calling the program a scam is an unnecessary and unfair label. I found this particular post and website by searching for Oxford Seminars but found the word "scam" attached. For those who also happen upon this the same way, don't be swayed.

You must work beyond what you are given from Oxford... I recently returned to school to get a Master in Teaching degree, and there is still no substitute for practical experience no matter how much of a foundation you receive in your teacher training. Those who were in my particular course have all found work on their own, using Oxford as an aide but not a sole means for employment. Let's hope that Oxford responds to criticism by ensuring that all their teacher trainers are as well-qualified as ours (in Berkeley).
candress

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: READ THIS FIRST!!! Reply with quote

Hello,

I wanted to note a few things before anyone's opinion is affected by the original post.

My cousin already completed this course a few years ago and has been working over seas ever since. The original post states:

"They promised to contact many schools in Mexico, Costa Rica, Argentina and in Brazil and they only contacted 2 schools in Costa Rica. My partner Erik finished at the same time and one month later, they still haven't edited his resume and his cover letter".

However, I noticed that the original post did not consider prime times to apply to schools. For example, many schools do not hire until the school year starts up again (say September for example) and there may not be many option to apply for in between these "prime times".

I agree with the above posts that it is unfair to call this a scam. In fact, it angers me a little as stating something like this hurts the reputation of the organization and, in turn, hurts the credentials of those currently holding and using the TESL certification from this organization. I understand you [the original post] feel you were wronged in some way (maybe you were or maybe you just misunderstood what results would come of the course). However, make sure you have strong evidence before you label something as a SCAM and not just one bad experience.
ameryousif2020

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: be careful guys everyone from Oxford seminars Reply with quote

be careful guys everyone from Oxford seminars , they are cheating people,the certificate is fake , just 60 hrs, not recognized by Employers online. no jobs at all ,
i joined a course with them , i paid 995 $ i got certificate just 60 hrs,they didn't tell me there is online test 40 hrs , if you don't pass you must pay 35 $ if you don't pass ,you must pay again and again , there is online courses better and cheaper , these guys they are fkn garbage , cheaters , scammers and thieves , plz everyone , each tell others , don't join oxford seminars , its fake company issue fake certificate
this is the link for better certificate :

http://teflen.com/teflsale.html
ameryousif2020

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first time when i did online test and i didn't pass , i was alone

next time i did the test with other one ( friend ) both we put same answers ,

he passed !! me no

why ?

because i accused them by cheating and scamming people ??

so they are doing with me like revenge ,,,

this is big evidence they are scamming students

about me i will not pay any penny extra ,

because i don't like to be teacher any more

they destroy my dream to travel and teach

i will not recommend any one to this center ,

i don't like any of my friends to be cheated

like what happened to me

even i applied to a school in Dubai , i took picture for 60 hrs certificate

and i sent it to them

they told me (( we accept celta from UK or tefl from USA ))

they told me we don't accept Oxford certificate because we don't have any idea

about this certificate !!!

same with 4 or five jobs , i applied , they told me same thing about these guys

that mean their certificate is FAKE !!

I'm asking refund my money , that's all what I ask
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: