ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

 FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning! China ESL & TEFL Jobs are NOT safe anymore

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shannon



Joined: 28 Jan 2015
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Warning! China ESL & TEFL Jobs are NOT safe anymore Reply with quote

I am not joking. Working in China is not safe for your health nor your wallet. I am leaving China when my contract expires and I think everyone should be warned about four things;

1.) The toxic air pollution in China actually killed over 5 million people in 2015 yet the ESL recruiters never even mention to you that you must wear an air filter mask during the 5 months of winter as you can see in the photo and chart I posted. This documentary film explains better tha I can https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6X2uwlQGQM#t=45. University research at Berkley says that you are better off smoking a pack of cigarettes every day than breathing the air in Beijing! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3201954/Breathing-Beijing-s-air-equivalent-smoking-FORTY-cigarettes-day-Smog-map-China-reveals-shocking-extent-pollution.html

2.) The pay in China for ESL & TEFL teachers is the lowest in East Asia compared to Japan, Korea, and Singapore. The difference can be as much as 120% even after the variance of cost of living is factored in.

3.) If you rely on an agency or free-lance recruiter to find you a job, you have about a 10% chance of finding an honest one and a 90% chance of getting cheated. See http://chinascamwatch.org and this article http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/beijing/article/scam-alert-foreign-teacher-fraud

4.) 18% of the Chinese population is infected with Hepatitis and it is spreading like a forest fire because about half of the people here cannot afford health care and do not even know they are infected yet! http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/phpbbforum/post1975839.html?sid=e4468fd18f02e9bcaa20d0cab6b45f26#p1975839



If you have asthma, sensitive skin, or alergies DO NOT COME TO CHINA. They do not even sell Benadryl here and when I had to buy it online it cost me $89 for 12 tablets because $40 was shipping and import tax charges.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grumpy



Joined: 16 Nov 2016
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: China is no longer a good deal 4 China Foreign English Teach Reply with quote

Yes, the winters in China are horrific but the summers are not so bad. But most of the women working here are always complaining about what the dry air does to their skin. But there are bigger problems facing China foreign English teachers as you can see in this Global Times newspaper article http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/981575.shtml
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ms. Molly



Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: There is an even bigger problem with China ESL Jobs Reply with quote

Wow. What a wake up call. I think people with asthma should not even be allowed to step off an airplane in China!

But there is a bigger problem about working in China imo - in any job. There are so many scams related to job applicants and the people running the frauds use so mnay different names to advertise like this guy, who is a Russian (proof that the China scams are not all run by Chinese) http://www.realscam.com/search.php?searchid=508615. The guy operates the same China job fraud under five deifferent names! (that I know of).

So its sort of like they are fishing for victims with many different fishing poles and angles. It was an accident that I made this discovery when I realized I was talking to the same voice on the phone from two "different" companies, with 2 different phone numbers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
esldon



Joined: 19 Jun 2017
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, the air pollution is quite horrible in China...

It's mostly because of the coal combustion and sulfur produced. I wouldn't say that you should completely avoid China for this... some days are worse than others...

But yes, those with asthma should avoid at all costs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP


Contact Us | About Us | ESL Jobs Newsletter | ESL Lesson Plan | ESL Online