ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quality of degree...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanderingTeacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Quality of degree... Reply with quote

How important is this in regard to obtaining jobs in the far east?

I have a BA (Hons) in Law, Psychology and English... unfortunately it is a pretty frightening 3rd (not a reflection of lack of capacity or sloth, but circumstance). Will this inhibit my job opportunties hugely?

I am planning on investing in a decent TESOL course in the UK (St Mary's college), but if my degree is likely to prohibit decent jobs, am inclined to perhaps go with a cheaper course and pursue less lucrative positions.

Any advice appreciated.
Scooby *Scott* Doo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my other posts, like I was saying be sure you get a US_based degree if you want to go into teaching English, the others are not worth the paper they are on. As to whether your degree will be accepted in that part of the world? I don't know somebody else will have to answer that one for you.

Good luck wherever you decide to teach, let me know how it works out as I'd like to go to the Far East as well and was considering applying there.

Sciooby
Michael John

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality of degree... Reply with quote

WanderingTeacher wrote:
How important is this in regard to obtaining jobs in the far east?

I have a BA (Hons) in Law, Psychology and English... unfortunately it is a pretty frightening 3rd (not a reflection of lack of capacity or sloth, but circumstance). Will this inhibit my job opportunties hugely?

I am planning on investing in a decent TESOL course in the UK (St Mary's college), but if my degree is likely to prohibit decent jobs, am inclined to perhaps go with a cheaper course and pursue less lucrative positions.

Any advice appreciated.
Your degree will enhance your career prospects. A friend did a first degree in Law and English before doing a TEFL Certificate. She then spent the next five years working for the British Council before doing a Masters in TESOL and now works in a UK university.
IWearHighWaters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you plan on teaching in a foreign country till the end of your days get a normal 4 year degree. A TEFL degree is only going to get you a TEFL job...nothing else.

IWHW
PittsburghPete

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: What Else Can I Do With a TEFL Cert.? Reply with quote

IWearHighWaters wrote:
A TEFL degree is only going to get you a TEFL job...nothing else.

Amen to that sister.

Pete

"You might be a redneck if you spent more money on your pickup truck than on your education." --Joe Foxworthy.
mel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just returned to Britain after working in the Far East for a year and I can tell you that your degree is perfectly respectable and will be accepted and respected at all the best international schools. You will have no trouble at all finding work. A TEFL certificate will be required so if you are happiest doing that in Britain then go for it. I have many friends still in the Far East in several countries and they have all concurred that you have the exact qualifications the best schools are looking for. They do occasionally advertise for 1sts, but they will be more than happy with your degree. British university degrees are very well respected everywhere, so do your TEFL and enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: