ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Survey findings: 20% of foreign teachers in China not happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjwellgo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Survey findings: 20% of foreign teachers in China not happy Reply with quote

A recent survey shows that close to 20% of the foreign teachers in China are not satisfied with their job and would not recommend their schools to other people.

The schools are rated on average 3.39 out of 5, with 5 being the highest rank. Also, 12 percent of the respondents said that they had been asked to tell lies to the students, parents or other people by the management. And one third of the teachers worked overtime without payment. Such work is normally non-teaching related, such as chairing a speech competition, hosting a party or taking part in a meeting.

The survey is conducted by Beijing Wellgo Consulting Services, a consulting firm based in Beijing, among more than 2000 foreign teachers who have worked and/or are working in mainland China. For more information, please contact Jeff Lee at bjwellgo8@yahoo.com.cn.

The survey scheme and findings:

A five-point rating scale is used.

1 (Very unsatisfactory) 2 (Unsatisfactory) 3 (OK) 4 (Satisfactory) 5 (Very Satisfactory)

1 What's the overall rating of your school? Average 3.39 median 4 standard deviation 1.22 Mode 4
2 What about the airport pickup and initial accommodation? Average 3.76 median 4 standard deviation 1.09 Mode 4
3 Is the housing as what it's advertised? 3.67 median 4 standard deviation 1.24 Mode 5
4 What about the salary payment and other financial committment in the contract? Average 3.65 median 4 standard deviation 1.30 Mode 5
5 Have you been asked to tell lies to students, parents, or anyone else? 12% said yes.
6 Have you ever been asked to work overtime for no payment? 33% said yes.
7 Would you recommend this school to other teachers? 19.5% said no.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does that break down country-wide? Are certain regions polled as better? Worse?
bjwellgo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
How does that break down country-wide? Are certain regions polled as better? Worse?

The respondents were not required to disclose their nationalities, gender, etc.
ICAL_Pete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjwellgo wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

bjwellgo replied: The respondents were not required to disclose their nationalities, gender, etc.

Sorry but without any information on demographics this survey is fairly worthless. I understand participants not wanting to disclose their name and address but age, gender even nationality, are hardly confidential information in a country wide survey. And surely regional location should have been an important criterion in this particular survey.
Wocca

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twenty per cent in any event seems like a small
percentage in my books. Especially, when such
things as culture shock and homesickness are
taken in consideration.
carolinchina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many people in any job around the world would say that they are happy with their job.

I worked in China as an ESL teacher for 7 years and while things were not perfect, there were plenty of things that made up for the imperfections.

For example, I was expected to go to meetings or holiday parties (often without pay), but I was able to take a month off at a time to visit my family in another country- without much notice. This would not be possible in the states. Can you imagine? Me to boss in US: "Hi boss, I've decided I need to go to India for a month." Boss in US: "Yeah, not a problem. Just fill in this form." I don't think so.
bjwellgo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that it's hard to do a complete and fair survey. On the one hand, you want to have the big picture as well as as many details as possible; on other other hand, a survey with too many questions runs the risk of driving away potential respondents. I owe every respondent a big favor.

Does anyone have experience with surveys? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: