ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in Cuba

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in the Central & South Americas...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Jobs in Cuba Reply with quote

Hi,
I know it is close to impossible but i was wondering if anyone has ever made a living off of english teaching/translation or anything for that matter in Cuba?? I am desperate to live there and have a TEFL certificate and experience.....Anyone know of anything?
thanks for your help
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might stand a better chance of looking into an exchange program, or even something through a religious mission. Best I think you can get is room and board out of something like that.

After Iraq and North Korea, Cuba has to be the hardest spot to look for such a thing.
bex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever heard of anyone working there....Im not really looking for an exchange programme....i have somewhere to stay there free of charge already....thanks for the advice anyway, it was a long shot....just fishing around
bex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are in Mexico....where would be the best place to look for a job in Mexico that is close to Cuba, where you can get boats from or very cheap flights...Im talking regular visits in my time off...thanks again
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing about Cuba is easy I'm afraid. I have gone there for vacation once from Mexico, flying out of Mexico City on Cubana Airlines...an airline I most sincerely do NOT recommend using ever. The cheapest possible flights from Mexico to Havana would probably go through Cancun or Merida...with Merida being the better for teaching jobs.

I don't think there is commercial or passenger boat traffic between Mexico and Cuba.
bex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your help....if your hear of anything in Merida let me know!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merida isn't the easiest place to land work...you'd pretty much have to be there at the right time and the right place. Check the job listings on this site from time to time for something in Merida. http://www.eslemployment.com/esl-jobs.htm

I put the Cuba question to another forum and came up with the same response...no paid work, but exchanges yes. If you're so inclined, you might want to look up Cuba Solidaridad. Who knows? Maybe there's a lead there to some kind of work. Just pray you aren't paid in convertible pesos. They really aren't all that convertible.
bex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thankyou so much for all your advice....i dont mind pay in convertibles as long as its a bit more that the avergae wage...its just so i can pay my way while im there (not including accomodation)....if you ever do hear of anything let me know! thanks again!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another lead in Cuba for you...

http://www.unitedtesol.com/english/default.asp

This is a TEFL course provider, but they might know of opportunities for employment in Cuba.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in the Central & South Americas... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: