ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University experience 'vs' CELTA?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buttons

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: University experience 'vs' CELTA?! Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a teacher at a private academy in S.Korea, where my contract is soon to be up. This is my first job since completing a 40hr online course.

My plan was to go back to Europe and complete a CELTA, before continuing my ESL career, but now I've been offered a contract teaching at a S.Korean university. It seems like great opportunity. Should I grab this experience while I can, or should I leave, do the CELTA and experience another country?

What should I do?!

Can any ESL veterans give me some advice on what would be more advantageous in the long-run?

Thanks.
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: University experience 'vs' CELTA?! Reply with quote

Buttons wrote:
I've been offered a contract teaching at a S.Korean university. It seems like great opportunity. Should I grab this experience while I can, or should I leave, do the CELTA and experience another country? What should I do?

Hi Buttons,

I usually approach such "dilemmas" that present multiple roads of opportunity in the following way:

First make a list of the pros and cons of taking either road. Once you've "materialized" these concerns, it is sometimes easier to make a decision. As you make your list, some questions you may want to ask your self (and answer) are:

1.) Which path offers the most stability, the most flexibility, the most opportunity for advancement, the most "bang for your buck," i.e. number of hours required by the institution and the rate of compensation for each type of institution?

2.) Obviously, the CELTA is something NOT required by your recent university job offer (it never has been for me either). Is this something they would give you a raise or a promotion for later down the road for having under your belt? (doesn't hurt to ask). Are there others teaching at this university with the CELTA certification that are getting compensated at a higher salary than the one offered you without it? If so, is there a similar "acceptable" certification that you could acquire later during the summer or online during your free time that would be equally acceptable. You'll need to hear it from the horse's mouth by inquiring directly to the person who has offered you the post.

3.) The CELTA cert. is always out there for you to get whenever you need it--it's not going away anytime soon. If you think that the opportunity you've outlined is a good job, how certain do you feel that similar opportunities will arrive in the future? In my experience, having even a little university-level teaching experience on your vita makes it a bit "easier" to get the next university-level teaching gig somewhere else.

4.) What are your future plans--where do you see yourself in 10 years? Once you've answered this question, which path will bring you nearer to accomplishing your long-term goals? When all is said and done, which path will benefit your career the most?

There are a number of reasons why a university-level post can be advantageous to certain career-paths. However, only you can decide where you are happiest (e.g. where you can make the most difference) and what kind of environment brings you the most satisfaction.

I hope this helps. Please let us know on the forum what you end up deciding (and your reasons why)!

Regards,

Lee

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
Buttons

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post. It was really helpful.

I've decided to take the university job and I'm really happy about my decision Very Happy

The only thing I have to worry about now are the new Visa regulations! I hope my Criminal Record check comes back ASAP or I will be going somewhere else!

I came to the conclusion that with only 14hrs of contact time and 8wks holiday for the same salary I'm on now for 30hrs and 2wks holiday/year, I can't go wrong! Plus the experience would be excellent and you're right; the CELTA will always be out there so I could do it after if I wanted Smile

Thanks again Lee Very Happy
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: CELTA training or University Post? Reply with quote

Buttons wrote:
The only thing I have to worry about now are the new Visa regulations!

Hi Buttons,

Congrats on coming to a decision. I hope your experience there will be a good one where your environment allows you to learn as much as you teach.

Also, thanks for bringing up the issue of the employment green card or "work visa." I forgot to mention that in my own previous advice to you that one of the perks of a university position abroad, as opposed to some disreputable private schools, is that the university--as a government institution--will generally take care of/handle the complications and legalities of getting a visa for you. Some private schools have been known for giving their employees the run-around on this very important issue. You shouldn't expect such problems from a university (generally). If they are on the up-and-up, they want you there legally!

The criminal background check you mentioned is fairly standard now and, speaking as a employee of an American university, generally required here as well for new hires. If they are hiring you last minute (semester begins here soon), they will have to understand about the time it takes for these things to go through. Maybe your embassy or consulate can help you otherwise.

Good luck Professor Buttons!

Lee

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: