ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching English in Germany

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmfletcher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Teaching English in Germany Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am interested in teaching English in Germany. I am currently an IT Student, and I have very good computer skills. The problem is I don't have a college degree and I wonder if I can still find work.

Upon graduation from my technical course at the beginning of March, I plan to take an online TEFL course. I've done the research and it seems like a very good program.

I also speak basic German.

If anyone has any advice or tips to give me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

kmfletcher
germanyteacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: teaching in Germany Reply with quote

Without a degree it will be difficult and an online TEFL will do you no good at all.

If a TEFL qualification is required, almost no one recognises the online TEFL because of the few hours required in the course and that it contains no observed teaching element.

Your computer skills might help you in your personal life, but they will do you no good at all in Germany. This country has a very HIGH unemployment rate and has had for the past several years. There are plenty of German IT people who are out of work and they will get preference over anyone else.

You don't say what your nationality is but if you do not have EU citizenship, this adds to the difficulty of finding work here. Additionally, almost no language schools or institutes will hire from outside the country. They've been burned too many times by teachers who didn't show up and, German employers prefer to meet someone before they are hired.

Sorry to burst your balloon but I feel it's only fair to give you facts and not aid dreams which may be unrealisable.
claas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: teaching in Germany Reply with quote

Finding a teaching job in Germany can be tough without a degree and an online Tefl course. However there are good jobs to be had with the right credentials. If you are determined to go to Germany be prepared well, otherwise you might end up with an extended holiday at your own expense.

cheers
Ayla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: teaching English in Germany Reply with quote

The thought had crossed my mind, although I cried intermittently throughout my University German exam final, of teaching in English in Germany. Maybe it's the deeply imbedded memory of some dancing I did at a club in Stuttgart shortly after the fall of the Berlin wall, when Turkish dancers formed a clapping circle around me and forced me to strut my stuff. I didn't know back then what an exhibitionist I am, this was before my career in performance poetry and contact dance, but I knew I liked the attention. I am from Canada where we are busy ignoring each other, especially on the dance floor. But enough digressing, I hope it's entertaining... but let me cut to the chase.

I am currently taking an in-classroom English as a Second Language teacher training course that will qualify me for CELTA level certification. In Canada, we call it TESL as you probably know. I am going for a TESL Ontario certification which is twice as long and more in-depth than the TESL Canada. It involves 2 full time weeks of practicum. I do have EU citizenship and I have a grounding in German. I also have extensive theatre background which I plan to apply to my classroom.

I wouldn't really have a problem getting myself there, but it would be great if you knew of any schools there that might be hiring and/or interested in my unique talents incorporating creativity into english acquisition.
okeyz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there
please i want to know what are the jop conditions in germany as par employment conditions to teach there is it easy to get a teaching job in germany or any other job for that matter,if not where else around europe can one easily get a good teaching job .
please advice accordingly.
thanks
Bobby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching English in Germany, unless you are a full time, salaried employee, absolutely sucks. It especially sucks if you have any amount of University schooling... you will be bored out of your skull after about 6 months.

I worked here for about 1-2 years (too long) while plying the German job market for a job in my profession. English teaching was an easy substitute (the job to look for another job).

I have a college degree and additional degrees and the English teaching job was absolutely no problem to obtain. I had no teaching experience or any TEFL, or whatever, certificate. The employer didn't care. It was dubbed as "Business English Training."

The job was freelance (as are probably 99%). It was absolutely clear from the start that the employer didn't really care too much about the quality, but about making his cut. Actually, if you are entertaining freelance work, only do it if you are a student or fresh out of undergrad. It's a totally losing proposition, both in terms of time, money and .... taxes.

If you are a resident of the US, prepare to be socked with a double whammy. You have to pay income tax (if applicable -- not likely) and self-employment tax. You will also have to pay German income tax and VAT tax as well. So even if you are making lets say 25 EUR an hour, it is almost halved by the taxes you have to (ultimately) pay. You also have to foot the bill for your own health insurance and social security payments. Of course, most Language schools will not tell you this, it's not in their interest to do so (because of the fact that many teachers are probably considered Scheinselbstandigkeit) (not legally self-employed).

Apart from that, teaching language here makes you a curiosity object, the "native speaker" syndrome. You are merely used for your native abilities and that's it. In fact, it is very hard to obtain a job in Germany given the regulations (for non-EU citizens) and the underwhelming lack of respect for foreign qualifications. Not impossible, but daunting nevertheless.

In short, my personal experience is that many ESL schools are merely rackets designed to exploit freelance migrants with little or no language skills and little knowledge of the legal and other realities of life here. Have fun!
trojan6666

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Teach English in Germany Reply with quote

My great grandparents came over on the boat and now I trhink it is time to return. I have a BA in media and public relations, I speak German fluent enough having taken it as my secong language in college for my degree. I am looking to Teach English in Southern Germany as I have many relatives in the Schawabisch area.
I am from Indiana America, I am currently an advocate/interpretor for sign langauge in the vocational setting.

What is my next step...? any jobs leads or contacts recommended?
eigo-no-sensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Teaching private lessons Reply with quote

an alternative to working as a teacher for a company might be to teach private lessons ... it is hugely popular in Japan (where i did private lessons) ... its slowly establishing itself in Germany ... i.e. look at all those 'Nachhilfe' websites which are becoming popular ... people dont want to pay those fat fees schools are charging.

anyways, there is a website now called CafeLingo which is for students to find their private language tutor/teacher/instructor. you can create your own profile in which you provide information about yourself

students can then contact you ... make an appointment with them and give the lesson at the appointed place and time. as easy as that.

and best of all : the service is completely free of charge (no strings attached).
jon.g

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Germany: Berlin Reply with quote

Thanks for that Eigo - I arrived in Berlin 6 weeks ago and I'm baffled by all the talk about taxes, health insurance, pension payments and so on. I'm an EU "citizen", and want to know if I'm selbstandiges (ie self-employed), what would I expect to to pay out of say 1000 Euro monthly income? Anyone got any rough guidance on this? After getting so many negative reports from different people I'm already considering getting the hell out while the going's good... ?
Lexicon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon the primary site to learn what you need to know is toytowngermany.com

go on there, register, then do a search for what you want to know. Do a search and read first, if you just ask without looking first everyone will jump your ass.

Because you are an euler, you can get easy full-time employment with a language school. But, if you are looking to actually make a living you're in the wrong city. Good pay in Berlin is around 11 euros per hour. Munich or Nuremberg would be the place to be.

You can actually claim a portion of your income (if you are self-employed) on your home country taxes. You will need to go down to the einwohneramt and do your anmeldung (registration), and get your work permit. it's really a formality if you are from the EU.

You'll also need to go to the Finanzamt and apply for your Steurnummer (tax number). Then you'll need to open a bank account in Germany because you will be paid by direct deposit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: