ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Differences between ESOL, ESL, EFL?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Acronym is on Your Certificate(s) or College Diploma(s)?
TESL / ESL
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
TESL / ESL
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
TESOL / ESOL
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
TEASL / EASL or, maybe, ELL
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CELT / CELTA / ELT
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
CTEFLA / TEFLA
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
TESP / ESP
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
B.Ed., B.A., B.S., M.A., M.A.T., M.Ed., Ph.d., etc.
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Several of those listed.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I have neither letters nor a piece of paper.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I have neither letters nor a piece of paper.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

sam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Differences between ESOL, ESL, EFL? Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

Can someone expalin to me the differences between ESOL, ESL, EFL? I see them used interchangeably. Are they the same or is there a difference?

Thanks,

Confused Sam
esljunction.com

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESL = English as a second language. Students that are learning English in an English speaking country as a second language.
(not sure why but this term is used in Korea very often....go figure)

EFL=English as a foreign language, this is taught to students who are in their home country where English is not spoken as a first language (ex. Korea)
sam

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ESLjunction,

Thanks for the clarification. That seems to make a bit more sense. The funny thing is it seems that ESL is used pretty much everywhere wether it fits the criteria you mentioned or not!

- Sam
esljunction.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that is true for Asia, I am just wondering if the same thing goes on in the rest of the world. I am now also wondering if most teachers know the difference between ESL and EFL.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: ESL or EFL Reply with quote

I think that ESL, being a more popular term, gets used in advertising more often and so it seems the distinction has been lost. I would guess that most employers abroad wouldn't know the difference, although the methods employed vary quite a bit between the two.

What seems more troublesome to me here in Latin America are the amount of new teachers who are non-native speakers of the language. This isn't a bad thing, but think now how the distinction between EFL and ESL should apply.
PELT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let’s not forget ESOL which refers to English for/to Speakers of Other Languages and has a near identical meaning to ESL.

TESOL is frequently used by teacher training companies to describe their teaching courses – Trinity and TEFL International offer TESOL certificates whilst UCLES CELTA is regarded as a TEFL qualification.

EFL is perhaps more frequently used in the UK. Having said that, ESOL is gaining in use as the demand for language courses for immigrants increases
EFLtrainer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PELT wrote:
TESOL is frequently used by teacher training companies to describe their teaching courses – Trinity and TEFL International offer TESOL certificates whilst UCLES CELTA is regarded as a TEFL qualification.

Which means exactly what?

The celta and and TESOL/TEFL certs are extremely similar in content, differing primarily in target of the population to be taught. CELTA is really geared for teaching adults.

For some tips on courses, see link below.

Contact me for further information regarding my experiences as a TEFL trainer and teacher.
PELT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, which part of that paragraph did you have problems understanding?
EFLtrainer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PELT wrote:
Sorry, which part of that paragraph did you have problems understanding?

Not me. Anyone posting such questions isn't going to be helped by a statement without explanation. Your response would have been more useful to them with a little detail about the terms used... more descriptive.

we in the industry often forget the background knowledge we have. Something teachers and trainers have to be careful about. Sometimes what we say, if not careful, is as clear as mud.

Contact me for further information regarding my experiences as a TEFL trainer and teacher.
Roberta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: what about ELL??? English Learning Language? Reply with quote

I heard that ELL is being used more often then ESL? and it's a "better" positive way of saying ESL? true? or what?

thanks in advance Confused [/i]
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does ELL stand for? Never heard of it.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: ELL Reply with quote

A Note on Terminology
Numerous acronyms exist to describe those students who are learning English as an additional language (EAL). For example, "learners of English as a second language" (ESL) is often found in the literature to date. Both EAL and ESL refer to students as people first, much as we now term a person with a disability as "a person who is hearing impaired" rather than "the deaf person." Recent federal legislation continues to use the term limited English proficient (LEP). In our survey of recent literature we found English language learners (ELL) to be the most prevalent and widely accepted term. We use this term throughout this publication, except when referring to specific program models that use other terminology.

The above can be located at

http://www.nwrel.org/request/2003may/terminology.html
Ben Jones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: tefl QUALIFICATIONS. Reply with quote

Is the ESL proactive resource suitable for TEFL certificate teachers as

well? Is a degree necessary?

thanx , Ben

What are some recommended countries to teach EFL?
Alison327

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am preparing to get my certifaction this January during a month-long study abourd TEFL Certification program. Someone told me that CELTA certification is the only one worth anything. How can you tell if the program you are enrolled in is a good program? Does anyone have advice as far as degrees, certification, and legitimacy of training programs?

Thanks for any replies.
crueckert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget ELT, which stands for English Language Teaching, and EAL, which stands for English as an Additional Language. EAL is really the most all-encompassing term since it describes students who are studying English as a first, second, third or other language. However, I hardly ever see it used.

As for the TEFL program that you are doing, who is it accredited by? How many classroom hours does it have? How many people per class? How many observation hours will you have? How many hours will you have to teach? Who are your trainers?
crueckert@eslemployment.com

"I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand." - Chinese Proverb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: