ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What countries do not require a degree?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisFargo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: What countries do not require a degree? Reply with quote

I am more than willing to acquire a TESL certificate but have no degree only over 60 college credits. Or should I give up the idea without a sheepskin?
Is age and sex an impediment? I am 54 and male. Looking at some of the ads they want women that can room together. What about bringing my wife that does not work along?

Thank you in advance,

Dennis
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a degree, you're probably looking at illegal work. Before you let that stop you, know that it is common despite the risk.

I'm told that in China, such work can be found. Much of Latin America as well. Working illegally means you could be ripe for being exploited by recruiters or unscrupulous schools though.

Age shouldn't be an issue...vitality is more important. If you bring your wife and you're in a position working illegally, you expose her to the same risks.
kumotteiru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
for quite a few Asian countries you don't need a certificate and for some it is enough if you are white.

Male/ female depend on the employer, but in many countries male are preferred.

The main point is the 'native speaker.' So if you are native, and you seem to be, try to go to Japan or Arab countries.

Without certificate, those are the best choices.
If you make your certificate, most of the world will be open to you, but make a proper TESOL or CELTA certificate.

Good luck.

kumotteiru (formerly from Japan)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RAFplumBOB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life and teaching experience will stand you in far better stead than any degree - you only have to look at a lot of the graduates coming out of Uni these days - all the qualifications but no common sense. Unfortunately a lot of employers do require degrees - but not all - and the ones who do not are not necessarily illegal either. Who defines what is illegal anyway? I get the impression that it is a word used by pompous self-important certified people who want to protect the market for themselves perhaps? As long as you comply with the laws of the host country and you meet the school's requirements, how can that be illegal? I recommend you buy yourself a copy of the ESL School finder at www.esl-school-finder.com and have a go. Best of luck. Very Happy
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have been doing something during the 30-some years of your working life so far. It may be possible that you are an expert in something more valued than just being able to teach English.

I would look into the possibilities of consultancy in your field. You'll probably have to do more research into what is in demand in the government and business sectors, but in the end it may be more lucrative and rewarding for you than teaching.
RAFplumBOB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That phrase ' just being able to teach English' is a bit harsh especially when there are many people out there who can't . And as for lucrative and rewarding I suggest that, although teaching may not be the most lucrative profession, it is definitely one of the most rewarding Smile
skennedy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go for it! If you can speak English clearly, without an accent you are hireable-LEGALLY! I have never heard of being hired illegally until I read it in this post. You'll want to teach converstion classes unless you have some training in grammar. It is more fun anyhow. The students love movies in English and they love to see the actions and culture of movies. They love songs and if you play a musical instrument bring it along. You may have more luck getting a job teaching young children but if that's not for you try high schools and even Universities. In China they are desperate for native English speakers. Definetly take your wife along. She can teach them to cook an American( or your native country) food or whatever her passion is. It is fun to teach in China and especially if you have a companion to share you adventures with. Age makes no difference - Health does- you need to be healthy and able to walk and climb steps. Men and women both teach all ages. Enjoy your adventure!!
________
[URL=http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_(Europe)_Model_C]Ford (Europe) Model C[/URL]

Last edited by skennedy on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
roostasha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by my school in China that they actually PREFERRED people without degrees. The reason for this was that it was a safer bet for the school - while not entirely legal, the teacher had fewer options and so was more likely to stick to their contract obligation rather than move on to greener pastures, or other countries.

Good luck with your job search!

Roo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: TRICKS! Reply with quote

Everything is illegal in China! only it is not a crime!!
I have been to china and back three times!!!.
It used to be that you sign a contract ( original ,with numbers coded in front in red which allows you to apply for arbitration in case there was a dispute) face to face because the copies that they send you are INVALID ( according to SAFEA) and it says so on the front page of BOTH the chinese and the English version.

If the government schools ( public) do not do that after your arrival, you are at risk of cheats and dishonor ( break) of the " contract"

In my case, the last time I was in china( I still am, but have canceled the " contract") they FORGED, THATS RIGHT, FORGED MY SIGNATURE ON THIS CONTRACT, PRINTED AND PRODUCED BY SAFEA( STATE ADMINISTRATION OF FOREIGN EXPERTS AFFAIRS).

dont spend money on TEFL courses and dont come to China even with if you are a " native language speaker" and have blue eyes and blond hair ,if you have principals and stand for justice and equality.

Remember that I tried veerything to get the government to take my case to arbitration and could not.
Even if you have a SAFEA contract they can fire you and cheat you AS THEY WISH! THEY ARE MASTERS OF TRICKERY, CHEATS AND DECEITS AND YOU ARE CONTROLLED , THEY SEND STUDENTS, FRIENDS, TEACHERS TO SPY ON YOU . YOUR TELEPHONE IS BUGGED, YOUR CELL PHONES AND INTERNET ARE ALL MONITORED.
skennedy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH MY, you had a bad day!! ttavanaipour:
I won't deny that There are different standards in China but I was never treated badly even when I was not very polite to the officials. I never saw anything illegal but I do not deny that it is a Communist country and it is their standards to bug your telephone, monitor you email and open your mail and packages. You even must leave packages open when you take them to the post office to mail them so they can check them. So it's different than a FREE country but that's why you go to foreign countries to learn and understand the culture and conditions the people live with. If you want everything to be like it is at home then you should stay home!
It's an adventure, if you treat it as such and have a pleasant attitude you can endure the sometimes harsh environment and standards people of foreign countries live with. It's all in your attitude. Just go with the flow. Rolling Eyes
________
R25

Last edited by skennedy on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
LS650

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One country that you do NOT need a uni degree to teach English is Indonesia.
A TEFL certificate is sufficient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: