ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

no degree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharonolsommer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: no degree Reply with quote

I have 3 years of college (computers) but no degree. Is it possible to find an ESL job without a degree or TEFL certification? I am a native English speaker with some teaching experience.
What countries would be most accepting? Is Hong Kong an option?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Latin American countries will accept you without the degree. Teaching experience or a TEFL certificate will be of importance though. Without a degree or certificate/diploma, you may not be able to get legal working papers though.
LeslieW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. America, Africa, a handful of Asian countries may accept what you have but dont expect much in pay, work conditions, housing. Your pretty much at their mercy. No legal papers, no degree and you will be working at the bottom of the barrel. You dont control any aspect of it. They do. You would be on their turf and your rights are pretty much non existant. Not in Kansas, so to speak anymore when working under those conditions.

A 3 year degree and a tesol may open some doors throughout Asia. Each country may have exceptions to the 4 year degree rule. A 4 year degree and a Tesol if your degree is not in education would be the best situation.

As for HK, NO. They have strict standards. A 4 year degree, perhaps a tesol and in some schools they ask for knowledge or experience with the British system. Not all but enough do. Remember it may no longer be a British colony but the system is still in play in some schools.
ortneyb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: IT CAN BE DONE!!!! Reply with quote

I love the web, its all about different opinions perspectives.

In some cases degrees can be thought of as the academic elite trying maintain that elitism. In many cases, the degree required to teach in a foreign country need not even be related to teaching!

The first thing you should keep in mind is this. Where there is a will there is a way.

Due to academic elitism, there is no question that life will be more difficult for you. But that is a good thing. You will be resourceful and blaze new trails instead of the ones laid out in pre existing systems. In the end, the result of this extra work will be a much greater reward.

I know a very very close friend in the same situation as you who has broken through all the barriers and has become a successful teacher, in Japan of all places!

He considers himself to be a professional teacher and is very talented, infact more so than many people who do hold the proper credentials.
Not having a degree in his case fuelled him to constantly improve himself and become a better teacher than those living in the comfort zone.

My advice, first choose your country, where do you want to go?
Then do the research, learn all the rules, of that country and then
find the loopholes. There are always loop holes, where there is a will there is a way.

Entering through such back doors is a way to first get in. Once you are in, your opportunities change. In Japan, many companies give extra consideration to applicants already in the country.

It is a pain, but it can be done, and it is being done by other's less worthy and capable, so how badly do you want it?

If you are thinking about Japan, please contact me privately I would be happy to share what I know. If its about other countries, well i'll give you whatever advice I can.

o..
rigby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered doing some online classes to finish up your degree? Here is a link about online teaching courses, you might be able to find something helpful.

I think the little bit of extra time you'd spend getting an actual teaching degree will be well worth it vs all the hassle you may have to go through otherwise.

Anyways, good luck!
Nead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

I just don't understand why anyone wants to become a teacher who is unwilling to study. I don't get it. You want to teach something for which you are not trained and you think that is okay? It isn't. How would you like to go to a doctor who knows a lot but trained in computers and doesn't want to do the specific training required to learn about medicine? Do you have any idea of the inferior quality of teaching you will inflict upon people who put their lives on the line to take ESL? That is unfair. For some people, coming up with the money to take an ESL course with the hopes of thus getting a better job, is the be all and end all of the sacrifices they have to make. And you, as their educator, want to skip over the most important elements of learning to teach them?

I have a BA in English, a CELTA and a Master's in Linguistics. I am not saying that you have to go that far but at least get training in teaching ESL. For a sterling and most sought after certification you will need a BA. Then a CELTA or something of that quality of training. It is all very hard work but your pupils deserve it!
JustMe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met highly qualified teachers who don't teach at all well, while some teachers with few qualifications are excellent. In many ways it depends on the person. Unfortunately many people think that because they are native speakers of English they can just go and teach. There are a number of language schools who agree with them. I did my MA in TESOL so I could get a better job, but I think that my ESL certificate and experience were of the most benefit to my teaching. Without that, I don't think that the MA would have been any benefit at all.
sammy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an online classes to finished up your degree would be a great option. although you can teach in some asian countries without a degree and just the mere experiences, but i suggest you don't do that. you'll get more opportunities if you have a degree.
jack705

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree without a degree you won't have best chances, you really require. The other option could be experience if you are working in some organization and you show your best, then you may have better chances but it's all about luck
ICAL_Pete

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article might help.

It looks at ways in which teachers without a degree can find work. Essentially you will need to have some sort of TEFL qualification to show an employer, you will need to "look the part" and you will need to be there in person to find work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: