ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions RE: London and Criminal Clearance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TaraParks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Questions RE: London and Criminal Clearance Reply with quote

[color=red][/color]

Hi. I am a newly cetified TESOL teacher. I have a year's experience as a substitute teacher as well as experience as a private tutor and a teacher's assistant.. My desire is to teach in London ---I would like a very long contract. I love the city and I want to live there permanently. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? I am getting scared bc I have heard so many people say that for Americans, this is not possible.

Also---I have noticed that some of the schools are asking for a criminal clearance. How do I obtain this?

Any advice MUCH appreciated.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Immigration Reply with quote

First of all, it is possible for an American to live and work in the UK and eventually to have permanent residence here.

If you wish to work in the UK, then the first thing you do, is to apply for a job. Once you have been offered a position, then the employer will apply to the Home Office for a Permit to Work. This is relatively easy, if you are a teacher. When you receive your Permit to Work, you can then apply for an Entry Visa. After you have worked in the UK for a period of four years, you can then apply for permanent residency.

You can apply for the job either from America or you can obtain a visitor's visa and look for a job, whilst you are in the UK. The visitor visa will permit you to remain in the UK for six months.

Usually, the school will request that you fill in a Disclosure Application form, which they will send to the CRB (Criminal Records Bureau), who will check your background for a criminal record. The $60 cost of this, is usually borne by the school.
ADKINS009

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire site is run by the Department of Public Safety and the way it is set up shows a no-nonsense approach to criminal issues. Once you get into the free criminal check site click on the information you need and you will be taken to that particular page and guided through the steps to get it. More specific information and fees are listed on this web page which will assist you in getting the information you need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: