ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Americans teaching in UK??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
innej

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Americans teaching in UK?? Reply with quote

I've applied for numerous summer positions in the UK. Anyone gone down the route of getting a work visa for the UK for an EFL position? Was it difficult, doable, a headache? Any and all info would be appreciated. .

What do they expect to happen when all these English teachers meet in foreign countries and fall in love... why does this world have work permit restrictions?! If I'm qualified for the job--as many have expressed interest--why can't I live and work for some time near my British boyfriend?

Jenni
crueckert

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jenni,

I'm also an American who is living in the UK. My husband and I met we were living in China. After five years of that, we found ourselves in the same situation as you- as UK/US relationships are not easy to sustain if living in the UK or the US. So, we got married (well, that's not the only reason, but ...)

Finding work is difficult and the cost of living is a lot higher than that of America.
I hate to say this, but as an American, you have little chance of getting a work permit in order to be an ESL teacher in the UK. However, if you really want to be near your boyfriend, then you have two options:

1. Enroll in a full-time course so that you can get a student visa, which will allow you to live in the UK for the length of your course and can be extended for one year under a somewhat new law that allows graduates to work in the field for a year after graduation. Those on student visas are allowed to work for 20 hours a week during school and more during holidays.

2. Get a fiance visa, or better yet, get married (spousal visas allow you the right to work full time).

Obviously, the 1st one is probably your best bet.

Good luck!
crueckert@eslemployment.com

"I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand." - Chinese Proverb
dcklondon

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

innej - I would agree with the reply posted by crueckert. A student visa is probably your best bet, BUT make sure you attend that full-time course you're "taking". I taught at an English language school and because a lot of our courses were intensive (everyday of the week) many of the students were able to obtain student visas. Without exception, they were all working the full 20hrs a week permitted. However, the school was obliged to send reports to the Home Office saying whether the students were coming, how many classes they had missed, etc... You don't want to end up being found in violation of your visa!
As for why countries insist on work permits in the first place - well a lot of it is reciprocity. Getting any kind of visa for the US is seriously difficult (hence the huge number of illegal laborers in the US). Only when there is a concerted effort by countries to agree that they all benefit from the free movement of labor, do things improve for workers. This has happened to a large degree for the EU member states; though ask the workers of Romania and Bulgaria if they're happy about not being able to work freely in Germany or the UK or Italy without restrictions and I think you'll find people who share your frustration.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: An American working in the UK Reply with quote

First of all, it is possible for an American to live and work in the UK and eventually to have permanent residence here.

If you wish to work in the UK, then the first thing you do, is to apply for a job. Once you have been offered a position, then the employer will apply to the Home Office for a Permit to Work. This is relatively easy, if you are a teacher because there is a shortage of teachers, especially in the London area. When you receive your Permit to Work, you can then apply for an Entry Visa. After you have worked in the UK for a period of four years, you can then apply for permanent residency.

You can apply for the job from America or you can obtain a visitor's visa and look for a job, whilst you are in the UK. The visitor visa will permit you to remain in the UK for six months.

Try the following recruiting agency; it is FREE.

www.Timeplan.com

Also download our (E-book) ELS School Finder's guide to your desktop, for contact addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of ESL schools in London, including lots more throughout the UK.

https://www.mcssl.com/app/javanofpp.asp?merchantID=102061&IP=386.571.386.208&qty=&productID=3462944&afid=&vgclientid=

UJ

Last edited by unionjack on Wed May 23, 2007 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
crueckert

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ,

Could you check the link that you posted? It doesn't seem to be working...

Cheers,

Carol

"I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand." - Chinese Proverb
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Link Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, Carol.

It's ok now.

UJ
RAFplumBOB

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crueckert wrote:

I hate to say this, but as an American, you have little chance of getting a work permit in order to be an ESL teacher in the UK. However, if you really want to be near your boyfriend, then you have two options:

Sore point! As a British citizen, you have little or no chance of getting a work permit in order to be an ESL teacher in the USA or any other job for that matter - what happened to the 'special relationship' between the UK and USA?
Nead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

I hate to say this but is almost impossible to get a job teaching English in the UK if you do not already have a visa and are there for several reasons: Practically speaking it costs a school time and money to get someone a visa; there are a ton of British teachers who are highly qualified; most students who go to the UK to learn English want to learn British English with the intention of working or living there. The employer must obtain the work visa for you which costs money and time so you must have something to offer that no one locally can. The UK and Ireland are the most difficult places for Americans to work at any level, simply because they have people in the UK equally capable. They just don't need American workers unless you are highly skilled in some specific medical or scientific fields. I live in Ireland, got my CELTA here, am obtaining a Master's in Applied Linguistics from a UK University and have lived here three years and am not allowed to work here. Fortunately I can now work in the UK because I have a sponsor and have lived in the EU for over two years....so I am moving to the UK and will spend the next year looking for work in the UK. In Ireland I have to wait for residency which is five years, nine years for permanent residency. In the UK if I must wait for residency it will be two years, five years for permanent residency.

If you can get into the UK and obtain a work permit, there are a million language schools which all have high turnovers. You might have to work sporadically at first, but you would get called for work here and there and can build a reputation and connections in that way. Just know that you have a long difficult path to work in the UK. You have to have money up front to deal with the challenges ahead. Frustrating.,

Nead
crueckert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd also add that UK employers tend to want teachers who have a CELTA certificate, so if you haven't done your TEFL training yet, make sure you get that. I've found that many ESL teachers in Oxford have DELTAs as well.

Also, someone wrote that Americans have a tough time getting work because they don't have a British accent. I've actually experienced the opposite. As many students are used to American accents and find British accents difficult, having an American teacher can be a nice transition for them. So don't lose confidence over that.

The main issue with teaching in the UK is simply having the right to work here. You might notice that 'having the right to work in the UK' is often listed as a requirement in the job ads.

One more thing is that someone mentioned that if you are a trained teacher, it is possible to get work under the highly skilled migrant workers scheme. However, ESL teacher without an undergraduate degree in Education is not included in those jobs.

skye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could help me...I have been offered an ESL position at Primeville Kiddies College in Preston, England. I cannot find the school anywhere on the Internet, and it makes me nervous. They sent me an email saying that their website is down and they want me to start the work permit/visa process right away. The travel agency that supposedly handles the working papers process is also not anywhere on the Internet. In this day and age, it is puzzling not to find SOMETHING on the web. I don't trust the whole thing....has anyone heard of this school? Is there a website or phone number I can use to verify the school's existance? Thanks to anyone who has advice!!
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Kiddies School Reply with quote

Hello Skye

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have anymore information about this school/college; name of street, post code, person's name, email address and do you have any more information on the agency?

I can check their website and email address, to see if they are genuine.

UJ

Last edited by unionjack on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
skye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emails have been from someone named Darell Miller and the address is primeville@teachers.org. That is all I know, there was no school address included in the job posting and their website is down...weird? The travel agency that is to handle the work papers is Skyline Exec Traveling and Tour Agency and they are nowhere on the Internet either. Thank you for responding and I appreciate anything you can find out.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Primeville Reply with quote

Hello Skye

I have been in touch with Darell Miller and he told me that he is just setting up his ESL School outside of Preston, Lancashire, UK. Therefore, he does not have a website or a landline telephone number but his mobile number is +44 7045 712 072

He uses the domain name primeville@teachers.org via www.mail.com and his email is forwarded to another email address. There is nothing wrong with this and is a common practice to get a more appropriate business email address.

However, when I emailed him regarding the delay in the recruitment of teachers, he said that the wife of the COE had recently been killed in an accident and that everything was on hold, until after the funeral. He said that he will contact all of the applicants, to see if they are still available but if they are offered another job in the meantime, then they should take it.

At this stage, I do not know whether the business is genuine or not.

UJ
skye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to thank you for finding out what you could...so I should just wait for him to contact me and there is no way to determine if the school is genuine? I emailed him last Thursday and asked for a written contract and some tangible information about the school via regular mail, but he hasn't gotten back to me- now I know why! Did he say anything about the school that made you think it was legitimate? Do you know if it is common practice to have a local travel agency handle work permits? Thank you again for your help!!!!!
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Legitimate school Reply with quote

Skye

I don't know about work permits but it is common practice for travel agents to obtain visas on behalf of travellers.

Personally, I would not pursue it further, because all we have is his word about the school and nothing to substantiate what he says. In my opinion, I would not trust Darell Miller, until I saw some evidence and then I would, probably, still have my doubts.

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: