ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Standard of living in Prague

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in the Baltic States, C. & E. Europe...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcklondon

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Standard of living in Prague Reply with quote

Quick query - IH Prague offers about 14,000 Czech crowns a month (accomm provided, bus pass, and luncheon vouchers). Can you really live on what I guess is about 300 a month? I earn more than twice that here in Latvia and I can't believe that Prague is half the price of Riga. Thanks!
djob2676

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 000 crowns is well below the average salary for an English teacher in Prague. 20 000 to 25 000 is the norm. Of course, in those situations, accomodation is not provided, so I guess it's not too bad. Keep in mind that you can get a beer here for 20 crowns and food is quite cheap as long as you don't go to the touristy places in the centre of town. I mean, if accommodation and transportation are covered, what else is there to pay for after food?
dcklondon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Standard of living in Prague Reply with quote

Hi djob2676 and thanks for the reply to my query. I thought about accomm being incl as well as public travel, but I still had problems imagining that a reasonable level of comfort would be possible on the salary offered, but if, as you say, the average is somewhere about 20,000 - 25,000 without accomm, then I guess it's about right. From the internet searches I've done, rent seems to be about 7,000 and upwards so I guess it evens out. Thanks again for the info.
dcklondon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: What I've found out ... Reply with quote

... so I was a little surprised to see my posting in the newsletter! I originally posted it last summer while deciding whether to accept a job here, and other than the one reply (from djob2676) no one had contributed to the thread. I thought it had died.
So, here's an update. Having accepted the job offer, I've been trying to survive on what the school (which can't be named for some reason!) pays. It is extremely difficult. The cost of everything in Prague keeps going up, but salaries aren't keeping pace. Food is more expensive, relatively speaking, and clothing costs the same (if not more) than in other European capitals.
In answer to my own question - NO. You cannot have a decent quality of life on this salary. You can survive, you won't go hungry, but forget trying to save any money or do any kind of travelling.
Prague's a great city - but efl teaching is not the way to enjoy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in the Baltic States, C. & E. Europe... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: