ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medical Insurance in Dongguan China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hrh_beatrice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Medical Insurance in Dongguan China Reply with quote

I teach ESL stateside, but two friends of mine are moving to Dongguan to teach English with a fairly new company that will not be providing for their medical insurance.

If anyone has experience acquiring medical insurance in this region or in China in general, I'd be forever grateful to get a detailed response as to how, why, and with whom you got it.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Medical insurance Reply with quote

Hello hrh_beatrice

The following URL was given to me by Josh Gartner, the manager of the China Expat magazine

http://www.healthlineasia.com/one/index.html

He suggests posting something in the forums to see what some of their readers have to say.

http://www.chinaexpat.com/forum

Hope this helps.

UJ.

Last edited by unionjack on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Sara Schaeffer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi hrh_Beatrice

I have been teaching in China for the past four years. My current employer (Xiamen University Tan Kah Kee College) informed me that all schools hiring foreign teachers are now required under law to provide health insurance. I am sorry I don’t know the size of the coverage yet.

Most teachers I know take out insurance in their home countries. This way they can afford to go to western style hospitals. Most people have a very hard time adjusting to Chinese hospitals and doctor’s offices.

If this school your fiends are looking at will not provide health insurance, I personally would recommend they keep looking. After all not following government regulations is not a good sign of how they would treat your friends once they arrive in China.
carolinchina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had medical coverage at most of the schools that I worked at. The only problem was that the coverage varied from 90% of any medical bill to 10% of the cost for certain ailments (there was a list) after filling out numerous forms, getting photocopies from the doctor, etc.

I never actually used the insurance the lesser insurance because it was simply much easier to go to the doctor, pay the bill and go home.

It would be a good idea to get some kind of medical insurance from home that would work in China, but unless you're in Beijing or Shanghai, that won't really do much for you for small ailments (as most cities don't have foreign hospitals). Insurance is of course good for major illnesses. For the small stuff, even with insurance, it's probably easier to just pay your bills at the Chinese hospital.

In Beijing, I went to the foreigners' ward at the Xia He Yi Yuan near Wang fu jing; I think I paid somewhere between 100-300 rmb/visit (depending on what kind of doctor I saw). They were fantastic. The medicine was great and cheap as well (they have both Chinese and western style medicine at the shop; some which is made there).

Good luck.

Carol
rayguns

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: China Medical Insurance Reply with quote

Yes I'd have to agree about keep looking If they say they're not going to insure you.

I've been at a government-run college in Shaanxi for six months - the contract says medical insurance up to US$275 per year, and specifically excludes dental treatment.

But last month I got a crown put on one of my teeth at the local hospital. I paid 500 Yuan (about $90) but I'm told I'll get every cent of that back. And as for having to go to 'foreigner' hospital - there isn't one here, I just went to the No 2 Peoples' Hospital.

I got seen more quickly and received the same treatment that I would have in Australia. Even though I'm insured there it would have cost me $1500!
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: China Expat Reply with quote

CHINA EXPAT WEBSITE RELAUNCHED

www.chinaexpat.com

The national portal China Expat has been redesigned and re-launched and is now available for view. Please feel free to browse around, visit our sections on China Art, Travel, Music, Literature, our extensive China City Guide sections, as well as our Daily Journal of what’s going on across China. This weeks top articles and photos:

The Most Beautiful Mountain In China
Kawa Karpo, viewed from Fei Lai Si, north of Deqin on the Tibetan-China border…
http://www.chinaexpat.com/blog/cde/2008/07/15/china-s-most-beautiful-mountain.html

The Art Scene Olympics
Over 700 pieces from 700 hundred artists representing 81 countries revolve around the theme of "Colors & Olympism", click here to view some of the best entries...
http://www.chinaexpat.com/blog/ernie/2008/07/14/art-games-begin.html

Five Naughty Chinese Novels
http://www.chinaexpat.com/blog/ernie/2008/07/10/five-naughty-chinese-novels.html
China has enjoyed far more lascivious times, as its literary heritage reveals….

The Lost Realm Of LouLan
http://www.chinaexpat.com/blog/ernie/2008/07/09/lost-realm-loulan.html
The lost city of Loulan occupies the eastern edge of the Taklamakan Desert, a desiccated corner of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.

Great Moments In Panda Diplomacy
http://www.chinaexpat.com/blog/ernie/2008/07/07/great-moments-panda-diplomacy.html
Pandas as used by China's Mandarins for political purposes from 685AD to the present day…

To subscribe to China Expat's weekly culture & travel update, please see the subscribe form on the homepage: www.chinaexpat.com

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: