ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching short term while travelling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in C. Asia, Far East & Australia...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evelyn25

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Teaching short term while travelling Reply with quote

Hi,

I am planning to go travelling in September through Asia. I am only planning to spend a month in places such as Vietnam and up to 2 months in Thailand. Has anyone out there taught TEFL in any of these countries for such a short time. I want to supplement my income. I have completed a weekend TEFL course withi-i.

Please get back to me if anyone can help me with any information on jobs, visas etc.. evelynward2001@yahoo.co.uk

Evelyn
Nonpartin Harenyp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with what your looking to do there Evelyn but maybe you can do some privates while in those countries...although I'm not sure how you would pick up that work to be quite honest.

NPHN
linguring

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone still reading this thread! In my experience, it's generally easier to get long term work but there are some short term positions available. Going with the private teaching option is probably more likely to lead to results, though.
itoi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Evelyn,

Max here from i-to-i, hope you enjoyed the course. It sounds as if you’re already on your way to getting TEFL trained. However I’d recommend you take at least 120 hours on a TEFL course before you depart; just so it makes it easier to find yourself a job. i-to-i offer up to 8000 employers’ contacts all over the world after you finish your course which should help you get started.

If you are planning on stopping briefly in various countries, it would be best to look for jobs while you’re out there. It is possible to find jobs this way, but the only issue with it is that most employers look for teachers who can stay on longer contracts.

A great place to start if you’re looking for other people who have been to countries such as Thailand and Vietnam would be to check out i-to-i’s community Chalkboard. Gareth Openshaw: http://www.onlinetefl.com/tefl-chalkboard/garethopenshaw has been living and working in Bangkok for 9 months now. Davis: http://www.onlinetefl.com/tefl-chalkboard/davis might be another good person to speak to as he is in Vietnam.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!
markc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evelyn has probably long since gone, but in case anyone else is in a similar position I'd suggest considering a slightly longer time. Finding a job for six months would be a little easier, allow you to save more money, gain a feel for the country you choose, and allow you to know your students a little better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in C. Asia, Far East & Australia... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: