ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

value of a masters degree?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
someone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: value of a masters degree? Reply with quote

Greetings. I received a CELTA certification last spring but have yet to begin seeking a teaching position abroad. I have no previous teaching experience.
I was looking at an online TEFL masters program and am wondering about the value of that. Obviously there are good reasons to get some teaching experience before considering such a program, but I'm wondering if a masters degree opens up a lot more doors abroad? Also what is the marketablity of the degree in the U.S. in the absence of an Education degree? Thanks for any responses.
ullimeng

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are sure to get some responses if you post your cv, and I do believe there are lots of good reasons to be looking at a master's degree. However, experience is always the biggest asset. Have you considered doing a master's degree online while teaching? That way you can also test the waters before committing yourself further. I have just started a teaching job in Korea to get experience. I hold a linguistics diploma from a reputable university which would qualify me for a university teaching position, however, I did find, that eveyone is looking for minimally one yr experience for the good jobs. So that's my strategy, getting experience and hopefully continuing my education at the same time. Good Luck! 8)
jacek.frytz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Poland, with a Master's degree you should be able to get a job in a university position without experience yet, so maybe developing markets are a good place to start once you get your degree, then move onto other better paying markets.

What TESL Masters degrees on line are you looking at?

Jack Frytz
Kuplungmaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacek.frytz wrote:
In Poland, with a Master's degree you should be able to get a job in a university position without experience yet, so maybe developing markets are a good place to start once you get your degree, then move onto other better paying markets.

What TESL Masters degrees on line are you looking at?

Jack Frytz

...right, Eastern Europe is the paradise for "paper holders" without experience and for semi-literate native speakers!

However, I'd rather employ someone with an ordinary TESOL Certificate but plenty of experience...

...a degree does not guarantee 'the' quality, at least from my experiences...
Keith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ullimeng here - there's no substitute for experience. Employers will generally look upon you far more favourably if you have a year or two of experience under your belt. The type of Masters you are thinking of certainly can't hurt to add to your CV, but it is a big commitment to make - I would advise getting that first job first to be sure that teaching is for you before embarking on another qualification.

Keith
Thomas Goodnight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

experience...exsmearience...

All 'experience' means is that some bum managed to hold down a job for some given time period...it's no reflection of anything else. I've seen many 'experienced' teachers...some that taught with the book upside down.

What you need to do is have some decent interview skills and be a good judge of character.

experience...exsmearience.

Goodnight
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Out of curiosity, how many here also have a Master's degree? Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I get a teaching position without the ESL certificate? Does anyone know of a decent organisation that would accept an educated but uncertified teacher?

Quote:
. . . I do not know which certification I should receive. I also do not know what programs are accredited or are actually accepted by employers . . .

Quote:
Considering that a lot of teachers enter the profession without *any* qualifications, any course is better than no course.

Forum folk,

ESL qualification prerequisites anyone Question

There's a lot of talk going on now in the various ESL forums on ESLemployment about what kind of academic degrees you might (or might not) need to qualify for employment at a respectable ESL school abroad (or, just get legal working papers).

On top of this, there is the age-old question of what type of ESL certification one should have, if any at all. The consensus seems to be that all of this depends on:

1. the individual country and its own set of laws and
2. the individual ESL school and how high (or low) its standards are

Over on English-Blog, a decision has been made to take a poll and find out, once and for all, what the average ESL teacher today has under his or her belt when it comes to listing credentials on a vita or a job application form.

Since our readership is sizable, the results should prove to be interesting. I'd like to extend the survey to ESL-Jobs-Forum participants.

I've prepared a little survey on this subject. Don't worry, they are six easy multiple choice questions. If you have a moment to spare, please share you input on this anonymous poll. I'll collect the data and publish it in either a future blog post or in the next edition of ESL Instruct (or both).

The link to the poll is on a post here (should open in a new window):

CLICK HERE FOR LINK TO THE SURVEY

As usual, thanks for your participation. After taking the survey, please feel free to leave a comment here on your thoughts about how "degreed" an ESL teacher ought to be, what it means to our profession when the standards are raised, and, besides actual teaching experience, which program(s) benefit both the ESL student and the skill-level of the ESL teacher the most?

Best, as ever,

Lee

http://www.english-blog.com

NOTE: 23 March 2006, Please see post below for link to the results of this survey. Thanks for participating!

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com

Last edited by Lee Hobbs on Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:52 am; edited 4 times in total
tangail

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of good reasons of having a good master degree. Experience is also valuable. Both is essential for moving your career up. For good career, you have to be careful in selection of job - career path. Try to apply the best way of writing resume and try to control the whole interview process. have a look into the website www.resumexcel.com

tangail
onewarmline

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee,

Have the results been posted yet? Your message is a little old, from December. Could you post a link when you're ready for the drumroll? I'm looking forward to seeing your result!
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Results from the December survey Reply with quote

onewarmline wrote:
Have the results been posted yet? Your message is a little old, from December. Could you post a link when you're ready for the drumroll? I'm looking forward to seeing your result!

Hello Onewarmline,

Yes, sorry about that. It's time to display the results.

However, I'll keep the poll open for now so that we can continue to get a fuller picture.

Please click HERE to see the dramatic results from the December survey about the average prerequisites for teaching ESL.

Onewarmline, perhaps you'd like to report a short summary of the results in this thread?

Best,

Lee

languagelearner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: is a Master's worth it? Reply with quote

I too am curious about the value of a Master's. I've actually been accepted to a Master's program that will begin this summer but I've suddenly got cold feet and I'm thinking of deferring. The idea of taking on a whopper of a student loan is freaking me out! Obviously a Master's will enhance my teaching skills and increase my employment opportunities. But....is the pay significantly higher??? I've tried to research but have yet to find a consolidated source with straight up facts and numbers. Can anyone comment on this? help!
sonja

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Value of a Masters Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I am currently teaching in South Korea. It is one of the highest paying countries for ESL jobs with lots of benefits. I can tell you that in Sth Korea you can earn more with a Masters and also you are more likely to get the cushy Uni postings with 5months paid annual leave etc. You might not need the knowledge of a masters to be a good esl teacher but it does help get the better jobs.
Sonja
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a Masters Reply with quote

sonja wrote:
...in Sth Korea you can earn more with a Masters and also you are more likely to get the cushy Uni postings with 5months paid annual leave etc. You might not need the knowledge of a masters to be a good esl teacher but it does help get the better jobs...

Thanks for that comment Sonja.

How are the hours with the university compared to private schools that do not require their teachers to have master's degrees? Day hours as opposed to the evening hours?

Best wishes,

Lee

Last edited by Lee Hobbs on Tue May 02, 2006 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
sonja

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Positions with Masters Reply with quote

Hi Again,
In answer to your question. At a University you have approximately 18 contact hours a week. The work is mostly daytime (some Unis might have night classes). At some Unis you can also elect to work during your paid vacation and get paid (again) for it. On the down side your class numbers are usually larger than at private institutes.
Sonja
gilda

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I suggest that the student studies for a masters but in her own time not for career purpose soley. Don't rush it as it is not necessary and does not make much difference to your career prospects, especially abroad. I have been teaching in Spain and currently in Las Palmas, the Canary Island and my experience been that, most teachers' I have worked alongside have only a TESOL or ESOL certification or Diploma and they got the same salary as myself who is very over-qualified. I have a Bsc Sociology degree, TESOL Dip, NVQ Assessors Award D33, computer Certs, Secretarial Cert and a Cert Ed and I found that once it got round that you are so qualified (which usually surfaced on the second year after the committee board sang your praises the first year at their meetings) the knives come out and the less qualified, stronger aggressive personalities, make life a misery for you. In the end, you are either pushed out or end up assisting the weaker teachers in the daily routine in classroom activities. This can be chotic as all teachers have their own method of teaching, personality clashes, different ways of dealing with the students etc. etc.

A Masters may make a difference in the UK, where qualifications are normally important but, even then, I worked along people who only had the minimum of teaching qualifications, an intensive TESOL or ESOL qualification and the same thing happened. This was in two well known London Colleges.

I studied for a Master in Linguistics at the Institute of Education in London (excellent place to study) but decided to cut it short and come abroad instead of finishing it. I had come to realise that it was not important for my career and I could study it destance learning any where in the world. It was more important for me to see a bit of the world, savour its cultures, languages, people and work at the same time teaching. I think I have learned more about English as a Second Language by travelling and working on the way.

I personally feel I am better equipped now to study for a Masters or a PHD but I still prefer to study it on a distance learning programme or if someone sponsors me alongside a teaching post.

One thing certain is that, I will be studying for a Masters or PHD for me not for progress in my career. With this in mind, if it benefit my career then great, if not I will have achieved my goal in life and this in itself will be very satifying.

Therefore, in a nutshell, get the basic teaching qualification, secure a teaching post at home or abroad and gain experience. When you feel comfortable about your life and where you are going, study a distance learning Masters programme and gain the qualification while doing the practical. Its much easier to achieve and interesting. Some teaching jobs abroad actually assist you with your teaching qualifications but they are few and far between.

If you want any more information about teaching abroad, please do not hesitate to write to me. My email address is:- gildalarkinsealey@hotmail.com

Good luck in your quest.

Kind regards,

Gilda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: