ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you ever clashed with an employer over work conditions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Issues for School Owners...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you ever clashed with an ESL employer over conditions or timetables?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Will do so in near future
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

nashatgaber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Have you ever clashed with an employer over work conditions? Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
I'm going to select a group of EFL teachers to work in Saudi Arabia. I would like to have your help concerning the following:
1- What are the items they could be tested in?
2- What are the question i can ask them in the oral interview?
3- How can i assess them at the end of the year?
Thanks
camelcarl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sounds obvious but all of your oral interview questions should be opened ended...let them talk as much or as little as they like. This will tell you alot about someones personailty, professionalism, etc. Don't be afraid to ask the tough questions either....why exactly do they want to teach in the middle east...what is their motivation for going there? What interest them about the job...If i were in your shoes I'd try and determine their underlying motiviation right off...this is going to tell you 90% of the time if the teacher will be committed to the position.

Don't be afraid to push your prospective employees before you hire them...better to see their true colors upfront...then 5 months down the road.

CC
nashatgaber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear camelcarl,
Thank you for your kind reply. I just would like to add that the instructors I'm going to select are not native speakers only. They may be Egyptians, Saudis, Syrians, Africans. etc.

I wanted to have suggestions about how to test them both in written and orally. The tradition here is to do that using an extract of the TOEFL test. But I have an idea of doing that using Mechigan Proficienct Test of English. I hope that I'll hear your suggestions about that. By the way, do you have anywebsite or links to sites about Mechigan Proficienct Test of English?
Thanks
Take care
Nash
akeed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, But I must correct your spelling.

Michigan you mean, as in Chicago, the capital of Michigan.

Are you still hiring as I may meet your criteria. But you don't seem to be a native speaker yourself. This gives me a lot of hope for the future of non-native speakers out there, who I promote.

Akeed Akeed
nip.chee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, are you a non-native speaker or do you just promote them? I am non-native speaker and I have finished the Via Lingua TESL course and I got a 513 on TOEFL 8 year ago.

Can you recommend me a good country where I can go with my cerificate, now that I am authorized to teach English anywhere in the world?

Thank you - Nip Chee Short
camelcarl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasha,

Maybe this is hte link you are looking for:

http://www.lsa.umich.edu/eli/melab.htm

By the way I've been to Michigan in the winter...cold place...i recommend staying south that time of year.

CC
Keith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nashatgaber

When you say "How can I assess them at the end of the year?", are you talking about assessing their job performance and teaching ability throughout the year?

Keith
gharwell1

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Teachers for Saudi Arabia Reply with quote

Hello,
You should ask them
1. How they deal with unmotivated students.
2. How they would use a book that had nobearing on what the students NEEDED to know.
3. How they will deal with classes where 100% of the students cheat on tests.
4. How they would like working in a system that if the students fail it is ALWAYS the teacher's fault. It doesn't matter if their son didn't come to class and slept when he did.
5. How he would feel when students treated him as a 2nd class citizen and made no bones about threatening to get him deported.

It is the teacher who can effectively deal with these problems that will mak a good teacher.

Gary Harwell
Lexicon

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akeed wrote:
Hi, But I must correct your spelling.

Michigan you mean, as in Chicago, the capital of Michigan.
Akeed Akeed

Uhmm...as long as people are correcting, Chicago is in Illinois and the capital of Michigan is Lansing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Philadelphia, MS, Paris, TX and Poland, PA Reply with quote

[quote="Lexicon"]
akeed wrote:
Chicago is in Illinois and the capital of Michigan is Lansing.

Lexicon,

LOL, it's bad enough that I now reside in Indiana, Pennsylvania. Nearby is California, Pennsylvania. Their university? You guessed it: California University of Pennsylvania.

Lee
http://www.english-blog.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
clark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Teachers for Saudi Arabia Reply with quote

This post has been moderated UJ

Be careful guys!

Think twice before you take the decision to join (school name removed) Jeddah. The place is the worst to be in; the management is the most dishonest to work under and the students are the scum of the society; the most disinterested; the most disruptive; the most rowdy and the most ill-mannered.
Working somewhere else for 5000 riyals a month is far better than working here for 10000 riyals: because they will force you to work twelve hours instead of eight hours, in split shift and some times in three shifts. The breaks: tea break, lunch break and the prayer time will be deducted from your duty time. You will have no medical coverage because being ill is forbidden here. For one day’s absence, three days salary will be deducted from your monthly salary.
Last but not the least before joining (school name removed) Jeddah visit (school name removed); this is the place where you will be tortured, insulted and degraded; OR ask any teacher working for (name removed) Jeddah.

Contact me for further details
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Issues for School Owners... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: