ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Esol teaching without a degree?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alison

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Esol teaching without a degree? Reply with quote

I am coming to the end of a Trinity College TESOL course and starting to look for jobs abroad - everything I look at asks for a degree - which I don't have, although I have a grade A at English 'A' level and 20 years experience working with the public behind me. I was told by my tutor that a degree is not necessary to teach abroad but am beginning to doubt that I can get a job anywhere! Sad
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: teaching without a degree Reply with quote

Hello Alison

Welcome to the forum. Read all the posts, in this section, and you will see that there are many countries, where you can teach English without a degree.

Don't despair; keep searching.

UJ
lonzyirwin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I am new in this forum, so i don't have great knowledge about this all. But I am totally agree with Mr. unionjack {admin of this Forum}. He gave very nice information.
Thanks
carnival_of_sorts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What part of the world do you want to teach in? If you narrow it down people will be able to help more.
rigby

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many countries that will allow you to teach without a degree, however, picking a country to live/teach in is a pretty big deal. If you want to broaden your options I would look at entering into an online degree program. These are generally cheap, convenient, and can get you a degree within a few years enabling you to go just about anywhere to teach.
willdunn29

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: without a degree Reply with quote

I live and teach in Slovenia and have a couple of friends without degrees who teach... and it's a beautiful country: www.inyourpocket.com/slovenia
janetbrand28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 20 yrs of experience from the said field is your edge, rather than a few years on a degree.. . I think if you are confident enough and with the right attitude and goals you are very much qualified in the said field.
bgngranada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..yes..start working on your degree. Would be very cool to be working on a degree that relates to your teaching.
ICAL_Pete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find this recent article useful: Teaching Without a Degree.

It explores different ways in which teachers can get work without a degree, the best approach to finding jobs and so on.
mslarma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Teaching without a degree Reply with quote

High

I am also finding it hard to get a job without a Degree as most countries require you to have one so that you can get a Teaching Licence.

I have many certificates and a background in Business and I feel that I still have a lot to offer despite being 54 years young. I am a qualified Personal Trainer and was fitter than a lot of my class but I have just been turned down by EF in Jakarta as they said I am over the age limit for Indonesia.

Can anyone help with some suggestions.

Kind regards

Cheryl

ps I am in Thailand at present. Crying or Very sad
bonvivant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Age May Well Be the Most Important Item in ESL Reply with quote

It is nonsense but true. Age seems to be the most important item in the ESL business. If you are 55, you are on you way out. If you are 60, you are wasting you time applying anywhere. If you are a twenty year old high school dropout with an internet $199 degree and an ESL certification, you stand a pretty good chance of finding a job over there. It makes no sense of course, but after a while, you find that not much in this business makes much sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: