ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would Tesol 4 week certificate add anything to my background

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chowlori

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Would Tesol 4 week certificate add anything to my background Reply with quote

FYI, I am native speaker of American English. I taught English, Composition, and Business English in a College ESL program for three years. This was my first job out of college; hate to admit it, 30 years ago. Unfortunately, the college has no employment records dating back to then and has not been very cordial in responding to my follow up attempts at verifying my work experience. There are no employees currently working who were there when I worked. Most are probably deceased as they were all significantly older. I am trying to find a colleague I taught with to verify my work experience there.

Then various times during my business career ( I have B.A. Psychology, M.B.A.Business) when I was downsized during 1990-1995, I taught post-secondary (Adults) accounting, economics, and other business topics, under a California state issued PROVISIONAL teaching certificate ( it EXPIRED IN 1995) for adult learners good for up to half-time TEACHING LOAD (work). That is still listed on the state teacher's certification website although listed as expired.

Currently I hold a valid SUBSTITUTE teaching credential that I have held for two years now but only have two weeks continuous work in any one district as I am registered for work in 8 districts. The longest time I have worked continuously at any school was 3 days (by my choice) during the two years so reference wise I am sorely lacking. I recently took a CA state test to test eligibility to teach Algebra and Geometry; the results will be back in May. I expect to pass both tests.

My preference is to teach at an International school in Bangkok-because the pay is higher. I also just came back from a month long vacation to Thailand and Cambodia so I have some familiarity with the region as a tourist. Most International schools NOW, possibly because of the revised Thai culture education requirements dictated by the Thai government, require an actual degree in education. I am wondering if a TESOL certificate would add anything to my credentials. I would not plan on using their job placement service as most appear to place candidates in low paying jobs and I am not an inexperienced teacher--just not experienced full time at the K-12 level. I have also considered university teaching and am sending a few resumes out to universities also...
Question
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Is a TESOL Certificate Required Reply with quote

Hello Chowlori

Welcome to the forum

First of all, I must say, that you are selling yourself short because your CV/Resume will look like this:

QUALIFICATIONS
BA in Psychology
MBA in Business
Provisional Teaching Certificate for Adult Learners
Teaching Credentials for substitute teachers
Qualified to teach Mathematics

EXPERIENCE
5 years teaching of accounting, economics, and other business topics
3 years teaching of General and Business English
2 years as a substitute teacher for Californian state schools

You are sufficiently qualified; do not be so modest and it is not necessary to have referees for every job you've been in but only for the most recent jobs.

Of course, teaching English as a foreign language requires a different technique to teaching English to native speakers and so you may benefit from taking a TESOL course. However, in spite of your teaching experience and qualifications, the employer may still insist on some kind of TEFL certification and so you will need to contact them first, to find out if it is required.

Best of luck

UJ
chowlori

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: would tesol add to my background Reply with quote

Thank you for the help in preparing my CV! Your summary is better than what I had planned...Sometimes it just helps having someone currently in the field give you a second opinion. I thought an expired credential was basically worthless and was concerned that without references my past experience might be discounted. I have spent a lot of time looking at the information available on this forum to help people new to the field. This forum rocks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: