ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on certificate versus master's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
medownie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Advice on certificate versus master's Reply with quote

I am hoping that someone may have some opinions on the pros and cons in regards to a certificate versus a master's in TESOL. I have just finished my first semester in the certificate program and am debating on whether to simply get the certificate or bite the bullet and get a master's. Is it hard to find a job with only the certificate? Will I be guaranteed a better job position with a master's degree? Would it be wise to get the cert. and then enroll in an intensive language program so as to be fluent in another language. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Michele
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By a long, long way, a Master's will give you better opportunities, more earnings, and a career. Often, I have seen people choose a certificate course in order to find out if the field interests them, and after spending a year abroad teaching, it's easier to make the decision to invest in a Master's degree.
Kuplungmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master's will give you a career, and the certificate won't...?!?

By what standards?

I'm just curious because I have a career with nothing more but two TESOL certificates...
Nead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a choice, then do the Master's. Your options will be greater. I have a certificate CELTA) and am doing the Master's. The doors and salary my Master's will open are far greater and yes, it becomes easier to have a CAREER rather than a job. Not to say you can't have a career with a certificate, but if you can have the best then why not take it?
felton3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: EFL vs ESL masters Reply with quote

I have decided to do my MS, but the school offers both ESL and EFL degrees.
I have taught EFL in Europe, and I presently teach ESL in the states.
My question is: overall, which degree has the most marketability?
eslfreak

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: EFL vs ESL masters Reply with quote

felton3 wrote:
I have decided to do my MS, but the school offers both ESL and EFL degrees.
I have taught EFL in Europe, and I presently teach ESL in the states.
My question is: overall, which degree has the most marketability?

My question is what are the differences between the programs? The methodology is basically the same. I would suggest looking at the coursework for each and determine for yourself which program seems to match your overall goals for your career. You may also want to consider long term goals. I know I didn't, so now I am in a PhD program (TESOL) but am still finding problems in North America as most advertised positions for ESL require a BA in education or at least state certification at the primary or secondary level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: