ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many hours a week do you teach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many hours a week do you teach?
1-5
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
6-10
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
11-15
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
16-20
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
21-25
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
26-30
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
31-35
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
36-40
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
more than 40
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

crueckert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: How many hours a week do you teach? Reply with quote

Hello Readers,

I'm curious to know how many hours a week you teach on average. While many university contracts include a maximum of 10-12 hours of teaching per week, quite a few private language schools have their teachers teaching 30 hours or more.

Feel free to take the poll and/or comment on this topic.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
crueckert@eslemployment.com

"I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand." - Chinese Proverb
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My situation is a little different in that I instruct for a TEFL course provider. There, my hours vary from 20 some weeks to 40 other weeks, and often more.

Most language schools in Mexico will offer between 10 and 30 hours a week, but rarely will one see more than that.
Elsie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Teaching hours Reply with quote

I teach in Mexico and you are lucky if you can get more than 25 hours a week at any one school. Most schools pay native speakers by the hour and will be very careful with the amount of hours they give out. Mexican teachers are given a salary and will sometimes be required to teach more than 40 hours a week.
I have found that teaching English business courses are the best for revenue but can be hit or miss. After 10 weeks or so, if the employees don't respond well or take the time to study, the companies will cancel the contract or not renew. These classes are a challenge but more interesting than school work. Make every day a good day !!!!!! Wink
kzel81

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Between 20 -30 Reply with quote

I'm teaching in China with fairly steady hours.
During a normal week, my load is between 18 - 20 hours. However, this increases to between 25 - 30 hours during the Winter and Summer period.
michael pakenham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in France where the workload is usually 18 hours per week of teaching the rest is overtime....Having said that the pay is pretty bad in France but well.....we are civil servants and they can't sack us! I would prefer to work more to be quite frank!!! My car is facing another expensive MOT!

France is one extreme of course.....the other is when you start hitting the over thirty hour mark per week....I really can't see how a teacher can be effective at that rate....either he must be pretty boring and prone to "sleepteaching" or he has a lot of energy and is not too far off from a coronary!

Back in Belfast where I am from the EFL week is about 36 but that includes admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: