ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More urgent help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KellyE1010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: More urgent help needed Reply with quote

Do you know anything about the particulars in Korea? I am basically arguing with this potential employer about not being able to get in on a tourist's visa. I tried to get on a plane on a one way ticket and United Airlines said I needed a visa. I called the Korean consulate and they said I could pay for a tourist's visa, I went there the person at the counter said I could do so but I asked the information desk later that day and they said I needed the E-2 before I go.
I understand that they are upset because the program started already over there but I do not want to risk being deported. It seems it used to be perfectly acceptable to go to Korea do a visa run to Japan but now it's changed. Please advise or forward this to anyone that can help as I'm in quandary now...
[quote]
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Visa requirements Reply with quote

Hello Kelly

I have extracted the following information from the Korean Embassy website.

US CITIZENS do not need a visa for South Korea for stays of up to 30 days, when travelling as a tourist. However, you must have confirmed onward or return tickets.

For an E-2 visa, and a one way ticket, however, you must provide substantiating documents, e.g; a letter of invitation from an employer or an employment contract..

Applications for a residence certificate will be made, by the employer, once you get there.

Why not buy an open return ticket and that will get you into Korea as a tourist and if you don't like it there, then you are able to hop on the plane, at any time and return back home.

UJ
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: United Airlines Reply with quote

Hello Kelly

United Airlines had this to say, when I asked them about visa requirements for Korea.

"It is the traveller's responsibility to know all current requirements and have the applicable documents for each country he or she will be travelling to or through. Sometimes there are many required documents, and it can be difficult to cover all the bases.

For future international travels, please verify current document requirements with the consulates of the countries to be visited.

If you have a U.S. passport, a good source for all visa requirements is the
U.S. State Department's site at www.travel.state.gov.

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: