ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mandatory Age Issues?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in the Central & South Americas...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan B

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Mandatory Age Issues? Reply with quote

My husband and I are now fully certified - we have also taken the Business English Cert. as we both have long resumes of business, entrepreneurship and public service. He and I are 63 and 57 respectively and know that age is an issue in many places in the world - does anyone out there have an insight into where we might start investigating - South America really appeals but we are pretty flexible and able to come as a couple with no ties.

I'd really appreciate any ideas thanks

Susan B
markc

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is an old post, but I'm often asked about age discrimination around the world of TEFL. Does anyone know about the situation in Central & South America?
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: SOUTH AMERICA Reply with quote

MarkC

There is some information on the site below but I do not know of its accuracy

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/nonmembers/age-article.htm

UJ
markc

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.
boldadventurer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Age or 'infirmity' discrimination in South America Reply with quote

I have an extensive CV and educational background. I was offered a job in Chile with a prominent school. However, when they realized I was 'old', she said she didn't think I could manage the hills and the transit and altitude, etc.

I reminded her I had spent the summer in Peru, up in the mountains, even been attacked my a dog, and bleeding (and crying) all the way back from the lake to the place I was staying, alone, to get to a doctor and the subsequent rabies shots--plus I had been living 6 years overseas--Tunisia, China, all over Europe...and managed to walk everywhere with grocery or book bags...etc.

Did not matter--experience, education, 'toughness'--just figured I had too much arthritis, too much high blood pressure, too much whatever she thought a 61 year old woman would have. She retracted her offer.

Almost as insulting as the EU barring visas to US citizens even if we are better qualified than EU/Schengen Zone applicants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in the Central & South Americas... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: