ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching English in Italy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmartin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Teaching English in Italy Reply with quote

I have my associates degree but in general education, not language or teaching. I've been told and read on here that you can teach without a degree and my sister does that in Japan. I was hoping for a job near Milan, Italy, is it very hard to find a job around there? I found some things but it's TESOL I believe, where you can go over to Italy and take classes and afterwards they help you find a job, is that true and does ESL do that? And does that apply if you take the training over the internet, would they help you find a job then? And does ESL offer online classes and help to find you a job afterwards?
Thanks for your time and sorry about the TESOL questions.
Nead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: No Reply with quote

Actually the answer to all your questions is a resounding no.
Italy, like most European countries, wants highly qualified ESL teachers so I would say at least a CELTA certification. This is a one month, highly intensive course for which you will need a BA, it is expensive, and you will have to go physically to a school where they will train you to teach in real life situations. I don't know where you sister teaches in Japan without these things.

Secondly, immigration/work permits are tough to get from the USA. Italy being part of the European Union, will give first choice to European Union members, meaning those from Britain and Ireland. The costs and complications of work permits is too expensive and a huge hassle for schools hiring. Most Americans who have jobs in European countries were there to start with. I don't think you will have much luck getting a job from the USA, being in the USA to start with, and especially without sterling qualifications.

It is impossible to teach ESL without training. Online training is a good way to get your grammar in order and get a taste of what you have to know but will not qualify you for anything. Most schools won't look at you with this kind of qualification. And to be quite honest, you won't be equipped to teach.

If you want a taster of what it is like to teach ESL, you should find a local school that works with adults in the evenings, see if you can visit and observe, possibly volunteer to help out. That will give you some idea.

Alternatively, after some training, you should think more about South America as a possible starting place for teaching outside the USA.

To be quite honest, the USA has lots of language schools and work is available in most metropolitan cities. You should consider this after training in order to get work experience and begin a career.

Most importantly,.....you need to finish school and then get your CELTA to move any further realistically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: