ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for advice on Central or South America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in the Central & South Americas...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twelver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Looking for advice on Central or South America Reply with quote

I am just about to venture off into ESL land myself. I am a
journalist by trade (Experienced but with a university diploma - no degree) and have travelled and worked quite alot in the Middle East, Asia and Europe. I have been working in my home country of Australia for the last couple of years as a Media Officer and I want to try something different and I think ESL is it. I am attracted to South and Central America and was wondering if anyone you could recommend a good starting point in terms of a TEFL/TESOL course.

Also any info/advice on finding work in Costa Rica particularly or the whole region of Sth/Central America in general?

Thanks
Simon
Scooby *Scott* Doo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested in that region and I've posted several times on the subject in this forum, good to see some other interest. I was primarily interested in Mexico, but I was worried about some of the danger issues there discussed by fellow poster Paolo. I know there are some good TESOL courses down there, I think Union Jack, the editor of this forum, said on one of his posts that he is a teacher trainer in one, maybe he will respond to this post and recommend his course. I'm already traiend myself so I won't be joining you at the course!

Let me know if you come up with anything. Have you applied to any of the jobs offered on the Job board?
twelver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: lots of choices....any advice appreciated... Reply with quote

Hey Scooby

Thanks for reply. No I havent applied for any jobs yet. I am unsure still about which course and which country. The choice is made so much harder by the fact that seem to be many different options in both jobs and courses. I have been thinking South or Central America as a first option but again, I still am unsure. Another option is there is a is a good CELTA course in Hanoi I think which is not far from my neck of the woods and might be a good starting place. I thought that possibly I could work in Vietnam or Thailand for one year then hit South or cental America.

Also a guy who owns a school in thailand told me not to touch any courses that arent CELTA or TRINITY. What do you (or anyone) think about this advice????
CBS bilingual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: enthusiasm and ability relate to children highest priority Reply with quote

My wife and I own and operate Cofradia's Bilingual School in Honduras and have over 6 years recruiting and supporting foriegn teachers in Central America. We now look more carefully at variety of experience with children and previous travel experience than at what, if any, certification you may have.
There has been more than one highly qualified teacher who just couldn't handle the cultural differences and/or the obvious poverty and was therefore unable to teach effectively, while I can think of quite a few individuals who had no teaching cetificates and had been offered the job on the strength of their apparent enthusiasm, previous experience with children and previous travel, who have turned out to be very good cross cultural teachers and both them and the children they worked with had a wonderful time and learned a lot.

Now to clarify, the positions we have are volunteer only and the schools that actually pay a good salary will probably require more certificates but if you are happy just to eat and sleep well at no personal expense then teaching in Central America without a certificate is quite easy to do. Wink
danielled123

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: EFL in Brazil Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm an American and I'm currently teaching English in Brazil. I have a blog about my experience.

I wrote a list of tips for people who want to teach in Brazil. I hope it can help you!

http://daniellebrazil.blogspot.com/2008/10/danielles-tips-for-teaching-english-in.html
bmspence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielled123 - Great blog! However my interest is Chile. Do you know of any blogs similar to yours that focus on Chile? Or any resources for that matter? Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in the Central & South Americas... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: