ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to return to U.S. & teach English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL on the North American Continent . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvaInSeoul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Looking to return to U.S. & teach English Reply with quote

I'm a New Yorker and I've been living in South Korea for the last year, working in a public elementary school. I've extended my contract for another year and then probably will return to the U.S. I want to teach ESL in New York but don't know what's needed. I have a B.A. but in history and no certification. What certification and experience do I need to get started and what testing, if any? Thanks.
Lexicon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eva,

It depends on if you want to teach in one of the NYC language schools for $10-20 per hour part time, or if you want to teach in NY public schools as an actual proper job. If you want to teach ESL in public schools you will need to complete a teacher certification through the state. They actually have programs through the NYC schools site in which people with a bachelor's degree can teach while pursuing a state-funded certification or master's. And, they are looking for ESl instructors.

Check out the websites and do some research and you may be set to go with a real job by the time you get back home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EvaInSeoul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexicon wrote:
Eva,

It depends on if you want to teach in one of the NYC language schools for $10-20 per hour part time, or if you want to teach in NY public schools as an actual proper job. If you want to teach ESL in public schools you will need to complete a teacher certification through the state. They actually have programs through the NYC schools site in which people with a bachelor's degree can teach while pursuing a state-funded certification or master's. And, they are looking for ESl instructors.

Check out the websites and do some research and you may be set to go with a real job by the time you get back home.

Thanks for all the info. I actually wanted to teach in a language school but if what they usually offer is only part-time work, then I don't think that's a good option. A friend of mine recommended the Board of Ed. site also so I will look into it. I have a whole year to prepare for imminent employment in the U.S. I'm just really worried about working in a public school due to disciplinary issues. I'm used to the level of discipline with Korean kids and I want to work in a similar environment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL on the North American Continent . . . All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: