ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

resources

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthony stinne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: resources Reply with quote

Hi
I am a CELTA teacher of English and wonder if any kind teacher could direct me to some resources on English Conversation

Regards
Anthony
N.Sweden
Lexicon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony, what do you mean a resource on conversation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
anthony stinne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: resources - english conversation Reply with quote

Lexicon wrote:
Anthony, what do you mean a resource on conversation?

Thanks firstly for replying as it's my first real start into teaching after a two year break.
I live amongst many refugees and want to start the talking English as it is very popular for native tongue teachers to user their language amongst multi-cultural people.

So anything, books, references and perhaps I can order them from my library
I also have my own classroom in a cafe with whiteboard , where I teach English privately to Russian students. I would love to get the book on "Jazz Chants". Is it still available?

Please say a little about where you are from, i.e. are you in Europe
Lexicon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try npr.org

they have thousands of audio podcasts with corresponding transcripts and coordinating articles in many genres including music. its free.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
anthony stinne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: resources Reply with quote

hi again

many thanks, because teaching refugees is a challenge as I have to also have good grounding basic swedish but your contact is much appreciated.
hope i can return the favour and we can keep in touch

anthony
sweden
ex-uk
Lexicon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to reference multiple languages, an easy option is to look up an article on wikipedia. Find one that you think can be good topic for conversation.

Then print off the English article as well as the Swedish, Arabic, Vietnamese, whatever version of that same article. This gives your participants context within their own language for understanding the article in English (or Swedish).

I've used this several times and it's been quite effective.
ICAL_Pete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would avoid having multiple translations of an article in the classroom, especially as Wikipedia is replete with mistakes and mis-translations.

Since these are refugees who MUST speak English to survive then I would make a point of keeping things in English to ensure they get the fullest exposure and don't fall into the trap of trying to translate everything they see and read.
St. George

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: TRANSLATIONS Reply with quote

ICAL_Pete

You haven't suggested an alternative.

This is a special case where all of the students do not speak the same language. The use of the translations is merely a bridge between languages, not a teaching tool.

One would not encourage a literal translation. The student would translate the sense of the idiom instead of the specific language used. The precise words don't matter, as they are all idiomatically the same as English.

St. G
ICAL_Pete

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TRANSLATIONS Reply with quote

St. George wrote:
You haven't suggested an alternative.

My alternative was to not use the students' MTs at all and keep everything in English. I know that there is great debate about the use of MT in the classroom; I am on the side of those who avoid it at all costs. I would only ever use the MT (and sparingly!) in a mono-lingual class when no better alternative was available.

In the case of the OP I think that keeping things for the whole class in English is much preferable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: