ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

online MATESOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
susanmholman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: online MATESOL Reply with quote

Any ideas about online MATESOL programs? I'm teaching full time with no opportunity of taking time off to do a campus Master's program.
Thanks. Rolling Eyes
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Online MATESOL Degrees: Where Are They Useful? Reply with quote

susanmholman wrote:
Any ideas about online MATESOL programs?

Susan,

With regards to "online only" MATESOL programs, I remember reading about EFLgeek's experience in an online or correspondence MATESOL program of some sort over on EFLgeek.com

It would be in one of his early posts if you want to dig around for it. He's presently in the program and comments on his readings/study progress from time to time.

I can't speak for his situation but my guess is that these online MATESOLs are a little bit like the U of Phoenix degrees. If you are already gainfully and "securely" employed and your employer has already made it absolutely clear to you that such a degree will gain you a raise in pay, etc. (and assuming you've done the math to see if the financial investment into such a degree will be worthwhile after the raise) then this might be a good thing. This often happens in American public schools, for instance (I refer to the Nova School in Florida as a prime case in point).

I'm in a University system now that grants graduate degrees in TESOL and I can tell you flat out that there won't be many respectable hiring committees that will employ a new professor with a master's degree from a non-traditional, residency program. They might be "legally" equivalent but that doesn't mean that such degrees are "practically" equivalent. First rule of thumb, ask these programs if you can speak to actual graduates from the program and then find out where (and if) these graduates are actually working somewhere "different' than a place that would hire them even without the masters.

My advice: If you want this degree to "work" for you outside of the Far East, look for respectable (read: nationally accredited) institutions in countries that use English as their native-tongue and that offer summers-only programs (residency is counted for summer attendance) and you'll most likely be able to finish in about two years. I think that the SIT people offer a master's degree in TESOL that can be done partly there and partly through correspondence (and, of course, it's reputable). Check with them.

Anyone out there want to help me out with this one (not Scooby-Doo, please)?

Lee

http://www.english-blog.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com

Last edited by Lee Hobbs on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Nead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Online MA Reply with quote

I am getting my MA Education in TESOL degree, online, with the Open University out of Milton Keynes UK. I am an American and this is the only MA that is available online for out of country residents. It is a highly respectable University and the work reflects this. It is designed for people who have had teaching experience. My CELTA sure comes in handy as well.

Check it out.

Nead Doon
katiektw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: online MA Reply with quote

Shenendoah u. is a reputable online masters and there are several online certificate programs from good schools that transfer credits to their masters
The shen. masters is also a program offered on campus but
your degree does say whether you studied online or not.
There are also some programs online that are intended for those in the peace corps ,i think george mason? or GW,AU?in the DC area
Nead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Addendum to what I just said Reply with quote

I meant to include in my previous message, that I am getting an online MA from the OPEN UNIVERSITY in UK...but that it is a three year course! I am not sure that this matters to you, but I thought I would let you know. It is not a quickie thing, and it is a LOT of work. There are four paper submissions, a research project and online interactions. You have a teacher (mine has a doctorate degree) and your final submissions are graded by a panel of professors, NOT YOUR TEACHER, to a strict standard. But you do have the convenience of studying at home.

Nead
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: The Open University Reply with quote

Hello Susie

The Open University in the UK is a highly respected university and compares well with Oxford and Cambridge and has retained its top five ranking of UK universities, See News Release here:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/events/1/2004914_42701_nr.doc

It is much more than a correspondence course,..

Read about it here: http://www.open.ac.uk/about/ou/p5.shtml

UJ
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Correspondence courses Reply with quote

Postscript.

Regarding Lee's remark. "... I can tell you flat out that there won't be many respectable hiring committees that will employ a new professor with a master's degree from a non-traditional, residency program".

I don't know the situation, regarding the OU and this aspect, in the UK but I understand what he is saying. However, it does surprise me, to hear this about America because they invented correspondence courses. In fact , we got the idea from the US but correspondence courses were always pooh- poohed in the UK. Nevertheless, there seems to be a complete reversal because open learning courses are now big time in the UK. However, these are run by respected colleges and universities. Do not bona fide universities in America run open learning courses too, Lee?

I'm sure we must have nicked the idea from America because we used to be so stuck-up in the UK. We're improving though...

UJ
natasa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: MA tesol Reply with quote

Yes, MA TESOL is offered at many universities in the UK; OXFORD BROOKES; UNIVERSITY OF LEICESTER; OPEN UNI; LEEDS METROPOLITAN; UNIVERSITY OF LONDON... and these are reputed UNIVERSITIES!
I know two young women who are doing a UNIVERSITY OF LONDON BA in English online and they are much, much, much more proficient than the students of the same department from my university, where I used to study there locally. It is just a prejudice against online universities but of course do not resort to degree mills. You can always check out the official ministries in the USA of such degree mills. I have never heard of such in the UK but I did google some fake unis., in the USA.

Natasa
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Why Online Graduate Degrees Seem Fishy to Me Reply with quote

unionjack wrote:
Do not bona fide universities in America run open learning courses too, Lee?

Hi UJ,

Wow, this post is from a while back!

Yes, even bona fide, brick-and-mortar universities now offer almost completely online programs now. But if you hear of a university that actually hires a professor to teach based solely on an *online* master's degree, even if it is from a respectable institution, please let me know. My guess is that some kind of supervised practicum with a classroom of real, live persons would need to be included in the program's curriculum. Save for webcam/video technology and second life-type applications, my guess is that such teaching practicums or even Graduate/Teaching Assistant instruction can't be done online in exactly the same way.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I can only speak from the experience of what the hiring committees do at my own institution. Perhaps it is just institutional snobbery, or, perhaps there is some practical reasoning behind it. My guess is that someone who hasn't set foot in a classroom to learn, much less student-teach, is probably not going to convince a brick-and-mortar hiring committee that he or she could effectively teach in a conventional classroom setting. Maybe college instructors with online-only master's degrees will end up teaching online undergraduate classes creating yet another self-perpetuating industry. The mind boggles with the possibilities!

That said, I may certainly have to eat my own words soon. I am currently investigating an online Master's certificate program from a bona fide, brick and mortar university. It's a 15 credit (non-ESL) certificate (I already have my conventional master's degree, doctorate currently-en route) designed to supplement existing graduate and postgraduate degrees. It's offered through the college at which I currently teach.

What's holding me back? Besides the exorbitant cost of the thing, the school offering it can't guarantee the employment practicality for completing it. NOTE: some schools actively advertise the "success" rate of their graduates, e.g. "90% of our grads find employment in their field withing 6 mos. of graduation," etc. I know, education is its own reward. But why re-specialize in a new subject if I can't get hired to teach the very subject I've just spent money re-specializing to?

From my initial research, no one in the field I've come across seems to know if such an online graduate program will pay for itself or legitimately re-qualify one for anything. Only the future will tell what colleges might someday do with teaching applications and C.V.s boasting only online degrees. BTW, I define paying for itself to mean actually getting me hired into a new/different position because of the certificate (that is, on the academic subject of which the certificate is supposed to be focused). Is this a financial gamble worth taking?

I'd be interested to know though if anyone out there has actually gotten hired as either a university (postsecondary ed.) or high school (secondary ed.) instructor, for example, based solely on one of these online graduate-level certificates. Just because a school sells the thing doesn't mean that they will necessarily hire someone to work at their school with it (I wouldn't expect the CEO of McDonald's to routinely eat Big Macs for dinner). Of course, I'll sing another tune to learn of a postsecondary/higher education institution that openly respects online-earned college degrees on the hiring end as the academic (or, professional) equivalent of traditional, classroom-based (non-online) master's degrees.

Best, as ever,

Lee

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: