ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I would like to teach ESL but I do not have certification
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do You Have A Bachelor's Degree But No ESL/EFL Certifications?
Yes.
62%
 62%  [ 27 ]
No, but I plan to enroll in a certificate program soon/eventually.
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
No, and I will never get one of those certificates.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
I have neither a college degree nor a ESL/EFL certificate of any kind, thank you.
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 43

Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: I would like to teach ESL but I do not have certification Reply with quote

This message comes from "T.C.L." :

"Lee,

I would like to teach ESL but I do not have certification. I am retired, after working 30 years for the State of Massachusetts.

I taught ESL to adults from the Dominican Republic for one year.

Do you know of a program in which I could teach and receive certification at the same time?

I am willing to relocate.

Thank you

T.C.L."

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com

Last edited by Lee Hobbs on Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I would like to teach ESL but I do not have certificatio Reply with quote

T.C.L. wrote:
I would like to teach ESL but I do not have certification . . .

T.C.L.,

In most legitimate EFL jobs overseas, in addition to a certifiable bachelorís degree of some kind, you are usually going to need ESL certification as your core qualification (I seriously question "schools" that don't), but every country, of course, has its own rules. Some will also demand a certain amount of verifiable EFL teaching experience (which it sounds like you have at least one year of) or perhaps accept that in lieu of formal qualification.

There are dozens of acceptable ESL cert. programs these days, some apparently available online for you to complete in the comfort of your own home (without quitting your present job); few places will hire you without these documents in hand. Check with the actual school YOU want to apply for first though, is my best advice.

Iíll refer you to the first three subject matter areas of this online forum for more help:

http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/

Hope this helps.

Lee

http://www.english-blog.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com

Last edited by Lee Hobbs on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
skennedy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Teaching abroad without certification Reply with quote

It can be done but you will teach where the masses don't want to go. If you are an adventurer then go for it but try countries that really need teachers like Eastern Europe, Russia and Asia. I taught two years, one in China and one in Slovakia with a BA and no certificate.I taught at a private language school in Slovakia and at a University in China as well as an oil field. Only taught adults and had plenty of tutoring opportunities. It was the most wonderful, memorable years of my life and I'll do it again as soon as I can. Yes it is possible to get a certificate in a month online and most schools ask for them but apply without it and see if they hire you. If you are a native speaker of English without an accent schools in China will love to have you. Be sure you understand exactly what they are offering you and who you will be teaching and how many hours. You can always offer to teach more when you get there but it is difficult to teach less. Good Luck- Go for it!! Very Happy
________
Acura TSX specifications

Last edited by skennedy on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Scooby *Scott* Doo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding that few employers I talk to differentiate among the tesol cert courses out there. Sorry guys, you got work to do! Although on the other hand there is room to create a standard that all will know. I mean a lot of recruiters just don't know what the CELTA is, they are business people and Cambridge is not promoting itself enough to them, especially in Asia, the US, and areas where Brit English is not dominant. There is really room for one of these courses to step up, mass expand world wide, and become THE standard. Let's face it the employers world wide are the ones that will make the decision as they will be the ones who will hire you right off if you have "the" certificate - it won't be the course grads, or the ones running the courses, that will make that happen.

Personally I say go for a US based masters degree if you're in it for the long haul.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: get a job, not a certificate Reply with quote

TEFL certs are for kids, aren't they? Laughing

People with no degree or experience or fresh university graduates with no work experience. People with higher degrees and/or decades of work experience can usually sell themselves with those qualifications.

This seems to be the case, at least, in Asia with some countries as possible exceptions (Japan, Hong Kong, Brunei, maybe...)

In regards to recruitment, why not contact schools directly.
Many of them advertise right here on this site:
http://www.eslemployment.com/esl-jobs.htm

Quote:
I am retired, after working 30 years for the State of Massachusetts.

I thought that Massachusetts was technically a commonwealth, not a state. Smile
shatricks

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: esl? Reply with quote

i am currently teaching esl here in the philippines, i have already taught in two different schools particularly in cebu.. i would like to ask anybody how to apply as an esl instructor in another country but don't have any certifications..if i take a TOEFL exam,will it be sufficient???
ICAL_Pete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOEFL is the standardized test that non native English speakers can take to prove their proficiency in the English language. If you are a non native English speaker than having a TOEFL under your belt will help but you won’t get a teaching job on its strength. You will need to have at least a TESL or TEFL Certificate. TESL/TEFL Certificates certify that you can teach English as a Second Language or Foreign Language.
RogerTEFL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Qualifications Reply with quote

Some programs don't require professional qualifications. For instance:

("A CELTA/TESOL qualification is not required, but desirable.")

I guess you'll never get around the fact that qualifications are desirable! But in some cases they're not essential.
Jeremy_Wright

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Try teflintldotcom Reply with quote

Try www.justtefl.com It's for American TESOL Institute. They have a school for 3 weeks in either Chang Mai or Phuket that is then followed by a 4 month teaching contract at a school at a location somewhere in Thailand. I am registered for the April 6th course in Phuket. It's only a short term teaching contract, but thought it was pretty cool, that way your tied down for an entire year. After all, you can just sign another contract if you want to stay in the country longer.

If you want to know more about teaching certification working and traveling abroad see www.teflintl.com

Good Luck,

Jeremy
jfrancesc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly recommend a certification as an assurance cushion. This is the reason. You might find opportunities in the United States (not only abroad) and each state has its qualifications criteria. For instance in California - I discovered that my B.A. was not sufficient. The Educaton Trustee will walk into an institution and check the qualification adherents of that organization. If they have hired language instructors to teach English without the certification, they are in violation of the Williams Legislation policy. Either an organization will take the risk, though most will not. According to the California qualification criteria, if the instructor is in the process of certification while teaching, they will be determined as within the terms of the policy. More often than not, you will not get hired by an American organization in the States withour either a certificate or in the process of completing one. I am in the process, and suddenly, California-based organizations have taken an interest in hiring me, whereas before - without the certification study, they didn't bat an eye. There are many programs out there you can do online, at home at your own pace. I highly recommend going for it.
Elizabeth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: I would like to teach ESL but I do not have certificatio Reply with quote

Lee Hobbs wrote:
This message comes from "T.C.L." :

"Lee,

I would like to teach ESL but I do not have certification. I am retired, after working 30 years for the State of Massachusetts.

I taught ESL to adults from the Dominican Republic for one year.

Do you know of a program in which I could teach and receive certification at the same time?

I am willing to relocate.

Thank you

T.C.L."

Dear TCL: My advice: Get a Certificate! Elizabeth
jfrancesc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Getting certification Reply with quote

Hello Elizabeth. You can do one of two things. 1) sign up into a certification program, and find jobs such as teaching non-credit ESL courses at City Colleges, et al. - or - 2) if you are willing to relocate, the Czech Republic has a great certification program that also places you into a teaching opportunity at the completion. In either case, each organization has a thread of referrals to pursue teaching after certification. Some programs offer accelerated but I learned that getting at least a 100/hr. certification is best. TEFL, Corps - online (google it - International TEFL Teacher Trainer). Otherwise on the ESL Jobs Forum, look under the European Jobs, and the program is always advertised.

Good luck!
DrRay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Certifications Reply with quote

Some countries need these some don't. With an ESL certification, getting a job is easier.
I have lived and worked in ESL, in Vietnam, for 9 years, and have lots of experience in these matters. There are the "legal" jobs and then there are the "real" jobs.

I wanted to give you some links, but as I am new to this forum, I am told I can't do that until I post at least one post.
See later.

Good luck

Dr Ray
DrRay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Certificates Reply with quote

This post has been moderated UJ

Advertising on the forum in not allowed
c.holden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting certification Reply with quote

jfrancesc wrote:
Hello Elizabeth. You can do one of two things. 1) sign up into a certification program, and find jobs such as teaching non-credit ESL courses at City Colleges, et al. - or - 2) if you are willing to relocate, the Czech Republic has a great certification program that also places you into a teaching opportunity at the completion. In either case, each organization has a thread of referrals to pursue teaching after certification. Some programs offer accelerated but I learned that getting at least a 100/hr. certification is best. TEFL, Corps - online (google it - International TEFL Teacher Trainer). Otherwise on the ESL Jobs Forum, look under the European Jobs, and the program is always advertised.
Good luck!

Great advice jfrancesc! I originally was thinking about going to the Eastern European countries and teaching ESL classes about 3 years ago but some other things came up and got in the way. I am glad that I found this post because now I am back in a position to relocate for work and do some traveling. The Czech Republic program that you are talking about here sounds great and I will look into it further in the forum. Do you personally know anyone who has taken the Czech Republic route with only a Bachelors Degree because this is where I am at right now with my education. I have been seriously considering the 100 hour certification though and will look back into that too. It should be self evident though that I would rather just use my Bachelors to get my foot in the door, but if a TEFL certificate is what is needed than I can do that too. Thanks for the post and I am so happy to have stumbled across this forum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: