ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I would like to teach ESL but I do not have certification
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do You Have A Bachelor's Degree But No ESL/EFL Certifications?
Yes.
62%
 62%  [ 27 ]
No, but I plan to enroll in a certificate program soon/eventually.
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
No, and I will never get one of those certificates.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
I have neither a college degree nor a ESL/EFL certificate of any kind, thank you.
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 43

Rin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, if you have a degree, you will get a job anywhere in East Asia or South America, or Eastern Europe. To be honest that seems the way of it. I don't have a degree and the schools care about that a big deal. They don't mind about the TEFL cert too much. Some ask for it, but if you apply and you don't have one, most will still take you.
Its sad really, in my opinion. Someone with a degree in basket making is more likely to get a job in any of those continents than me and I have 8 years ESL experience and a TEFL cert.
As somebody said above. China will love you. As long as you are white, don't have aids or hepatitis, are a native speaker from one of the magic five ( UK, Ireland, North America, New Zealand, Australia ) countries and have a degree in ANYTHING you can teach ESL in any of those continents I mentioned above. ( most will take native South Africans also. ) I don't mean to offend anyone, but its the truth.
linotia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting information!!! Thank you!!!
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding training while working, that is the standard here in Japan at all major English schools,
The training may not be internationally recognized, but it's still very useful.

With regards to getting a job without the certs, that's relatively easy here, but at a lower pay-grade.
ibigcseacademy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: ESL/TESOL Certification Reply with quote

Any where your going to teach Overseas you would need ESL/TESOL certification. Now we offer a proper ESL/TESOL Certification for our teacher, you can take classes at our campus in Jakarta or Online. Its an Advanced Level Certification of ESL issued under US Universities, based on 30 Unites and total fee is 300US$.
Let me know if you need further information.
bonvivant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the whole certificate game looks like a tiptoeing scam, which has become common these days in most job markets. One spends years earning a language degree, and there is importance put on some two-bit two month certificate that at best repeats what one gets in regular teacher training and at worst, which is the usual for these paper mills, gives simple-minded suggestions and a scrambled series of instructions about how to make out a lesson plan. A lesson plan is always their individual design that is called standard, but is actually only theirs. Usually lesson plans are predicated upon ideal conditions, which never happens. A rubric consisting of a list of numerous appropriate activities would be far better because a rubric permits flexibility according to the needs and the temperament of the students being taught. A school that hires a teacher without a degree isn't going to improve its quality simply by requiring a certificate to its teacher traits. But then, Iエm wondering if itエs simply appearance rather than quality that is sought by the schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: