ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trained +Experienced - Non-native = Job ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romaric Masson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Trained +Experienced - Non-native = Job ? Reply with quote

Hi there,
I am determined to find a teaching position in South-Korea, but although being CELTA-trained and experienced in the field, I happen to be French...
Is there a way to be recruited by any kind of school AND then get a E-2 visa, despite the apparent wall I am banging against ?

Any help really appreciated.

Romaric (currently EFL lecturer in the UK)
falchion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a non native speaker of English you can not get a job in South Korea, Japan or Taiwan teaching English no matter what your qualifications. This is because it is a work visa requirement that you be a native English speaker. You may be able to get a position teaching French. I have taught English in Asia for ten years in Japan South Korea, Taiwan and Thailand.  I have met a few non native English speakers teaching English in Thailand and some French native speakers teaching French in japan. You also need to understand what happened in South Korea a few years ago. There was a pedophile on the internet who had swirled his face so he wouldn't be recognized and he had a web page bragging about having sex with young boys in Asia. Anyway the FBI un swirled his face and posted his picture as a wanted pedophile. at the time he was teaching in south Korea. He did a runner and was eventually caught in Thailand and extradited back to the USA. The result was that all people wanting to teach English in South Korea have to have original degrees sealed transcripts and letters from the embassy or a solicitor confirming that all qualifications are genuine otherwise you wont get a visa. Now in some countries there are schools that may employ you BUT You will be working illegally and so you will be completely screwed if the employer doesn't pay you or you get caught working illegally. Imagine several weeks or months in a foreign jail and a large bill to pay your airfare and fines in the region of 20,000 dollars. In places like Thailand there are plenty of people working illegally, doing visa runs every few months and working on Tourist visas. But what will you do if you get caught and thrown in Jail or are at the border on a visa run and are refused entry? Trust me it isn't worth it. I know someone who spent three months in a Thai jail before being deported for working illegally. He was locked in a cell from 4pm till 8 am with twenty other prisoners, one bucket, a concrete floor and that was it. He was allowed out in the day and fed one bowl of rice a day. Whilst there he met a Thai prisoner twenty years old who had been sentenced to life in prison in chains. that means hands and feet shackled and a chain connecting them. That could be you if you try and work illegally in in Asian country. Also remember this in these countries they have their own laws and rules so in South Korea if you are Black there is no way that you will get a job. In Japan and many other Asian countries it will also be difficult if not impossible. It is thier country their rules and there isn't anything you can do about it. As I have said you could possibly get a position teaching French or if you can only teach English then you will have to look at countries like Thailand and India or Indonesia where the pay is lower but you will still almost certainly be working illegally without a visa no matter what your employer says.
Romaric Masson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: