ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Spain with a TEFL certification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broketraveller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Teaching in Spain with a TEFL certification Reply with quote

I am looking to teach English in Spain, but I live in America and have very little extra money. I do not want to commit to doing anything without knowing that I will be able to find a job in Spain. Can anyone tell me what the job market is like in Spain for English teachers with only a TEFL certification? Thank you!
ICAL_Pete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't think it will be easy. To work in Spain you firstly need the qualifications - usually a degree and a TEFL certificate.

Secondly you need to have a passport from an EU country which in practice means most teachers there are British or Irish. Without this the school will have to jump through bureaucratic hoops to get the right papers to employ you.

They will only do this if you are an exceptional teacher worth the trouble.

The only practical option - as I see it - is for you to hop on a plane and fly over there, start tramping the streets and knocking on school doors until you find a school that is desperate for a teacher and is willing to employ you illegally.

There are inherent risks in this as you can imagine. Certainly you wouldn't be the first to do it and you won't be the last; but just be sure you're aware of the penalties if you're caught.

TEFL in Spain
jda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other options too. I know people who worked in a north American English school. They called around and found a place. They came over on student visas obtained through the school. There are a lot of Americans in Spain who are teaching there now (without papers). In terms of your qualification, places are more interested in your experience.
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be true for the businesses but for visas, the student visas only last so long, for a career you probably need to worry about what a work visa requires...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: