ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to Grad School or get the Certificate is the ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uplandvalleygirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Go to Grad School or get the Certificate is the ? Reply with quote

I've just stumbled upon the ESL Jobs website and became a member to fully read and educate myself with those who are doing what I want to do. I'm a prospect grad student that hopes to enroll at Pepperdine University come August 2011 because the 1 year program includes teaching credential and internship. I've been keeping in contact with the school Admissions Manager, but I'm still full of so many questions after reading the ESL Jobs forum. Should I still attend grad school next year, earn my MA and the TESOL certificate, or obtain just the certificate? My overall dream after visiting Europe several times, falling in love with the culture, and seeing my French roots makes me want to pursue TESOL in France (despite the low earnings). However, I feel the MA degree in Education will enable me to be a professor at the college level here in America to build job experience so I could fulfill my desires of teaching abroad or to teach abroad during the summer months.
What do you think about my plan and what I should do?

I look forward from hearing from you,
ICAL_Pete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First there's the issue of visas to consider. I'm guessing you don't hold a passport from an EU member state in which case it's going to be hard to get a visa to work in France or anywhere in Europe for that matter.

It's not impossible, but it won't be easy. The more you have to offer a school in Europe, the better in this regard. So if you approach a school with a TEFL Certificate and BA degree and no experience then they will be unlikely to consider you.

On the other hand, my personal opinion is that a teacher needs to teach. Going from a degree to grad school and then in to a job is the wrong way around for me. I believe that once you have the minimum qualifications - a degree and a TEFL certificate in most cases - then it's time to start teaching. Take a couple of years out and get some experience be it in Korea or Brazil or wherever you can find work.

Then go back to college. You will find the post-grad course or the CELTA or DELTA or whatever is much more fulfilling and worthwhile and then once you've completed it you will be able to approach a European school with a lot more to offer including experience.
MJM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: DELETED Reply with quote

Deleted; repeated post elsewhere
Moderator UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: