ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you get CELTA after getting your MA TESL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Would you get CELTA after getting your MA TESL? Reply with quote

I have an odd situation where I will teach university in the Middle East and make very good money. However, I notice that I lack the ability to spontaneously develop activities that get students talking to each other. I tend to be a "lecturer" and I guess a bit of a bore when it comes to teaching. I learned that I have weaknesses in teaching when I went to China. Rolling Eyes

I took a comm. teaching methods class and I got very good ideas of how to develop these speaking activities., I plan to use them in the Middle East.

Looking ahead, I would like to enroll in a CELTA program and gain the necessary skills to improve my teaching skills. In a sense, I'm doing my education backwards since the CELTA will be the last item on my resume instead of the first.

My question is: would you do this, if you had your MA TESL Question
The job market has me paranoid about my qualifications.
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach in the Middle East, and I have both a Masters degree in TESOL and a TESOL certificate. The Masters degree was the qualification that helped me to get the job, but to be honest the certificate has been much more helpful in day to day teaching. Because it had a supervised teaching component, I was able to develop creative and interesting ways of teaching classes. If you want to change your teaching style, then why not do a CELTA? You have pointed out a weakness in your teaching style, and you may as well do what you can to deal with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: