ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advice for non payment to teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpleview

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: advice for non payment to teacher Reply with quote

I would really appreciate any advice re. this problem. I am in my first year of teaching in Madrid, with four different academies. I was recently offered a great position and decided to give notice to one of the academies. Their contract stated that if I was within the first 90 days, that I had to give a minimum of 15 days notice. I gave over 21 days, but they told me not to bother coming back after the holidays, except that i would have to pick up my check & to sign the end of contract. When I stopped by, they insisted I was in violation of contract and they are not paying me anything for the entire month of December, over 25 hrs. I barely speak Spanish, hiring a lawyer is not feasible & most insulting is that the school is a very big British run group here. i have no statement of salary & they are now totally refusing my calls, any suggestions?
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: MAN IN CHARGE Reply with quote

Hello Asimpleview

Welcome to the forum.

If their headquarters are in the UK, then I would contact the man in charge and explain the situation to him. He may be able to persuade those in Madrid to do the right thing, even if only to avoid the bad publicity.

Good luck

UJ
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, and I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

I think contacting the hq is the best first move.
If you're unlucky though, you can try to contact the embassy of whatever country you're from and telling them you are receiving unethical treatment.
The Canadian embassy in Japan has helped me out of a similar problem I had with a bad employer.

Good luck!
saor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: bad publicity Reply with quote

The best tactic is to name and shame. Bad publicity will make it difficult for them to hire other teachers and so they will want to reach an agreement with you. Put the name of the company on this forum and on a very useful site called teflblacklist.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: